Access Violation during restore - from USB recovery image

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
pbrooks1

Access Violation during restore - from USB recovery image

Post by pbrooks1 »

I've been merrily backing up for months and years, and then my laptop boot drive died. Windows 10 64bit.
No problem! I have backups!
Installed a new clean SSD drive.
Downloaded and booted the the AIS USB restore image from a few days ago, which reports itself as AISBackup version 5.4.0.494 in 'Help/About' (Windows (TM) 8 Preinstallation Environment, 32-bit)

Created the partition, and formatted as NTFS
Loaded the backup files onto an external USB-connected disk, found the backup files and reinstated the backup as restore-only.
Tried to restore everything, including the boot files, and this appeared to be successful, getting to the end of the AIB files.
However, somewhere near the end, possibly while recreating the boot sector or boot menu, it threw an error and stopped:

Exception: EAccessViolation: Access Violation at address 006C58Da in module 'AISBackup.exe'. Read of address 00000000

The lines before this are:

Checking boot menus on boot partition: C
MenuPath: C:\Boot\BCD
Checking C:\Windows\System32\Winload.exe boot menu: Restored: Windows 10 Home x64 ()
Updated Boot Manager boot menu entry
Tracking: 33811
Exception: EAccessViolation...... (as above)
Component: btnRestore

sooo close to getting a working system back - but it won't boot.
I'm hoping the 'Tracking' number and Component will help narrow down the culprit.
Are you able to troubleshoot what might be causing the Access Violation error?
pbrooks1

Re: Access Violation during restore - from USB recovery image

Post by pbrooks1 »

Just tried it again, and had a slightly different error at the end.

This time the the log messages were:

Tracking: 33887
Exception: EAccessViolation: Access Violation at address 006C58D1 in module 'AISBackup.exe'. Read of address 00000000
Component: fAquariusBackup
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Sorry for the delay replying to this.

Could you try the Tools / Edit Windows Boot menu option to see if that is able to finish the set-up of the boot menu? The restored version of Windows should be in the upper pane, if not select it from the lower pane, click Add to Manu then click Save. Do you know whether the previous version of Windows booted GPT or MBR?

Barry
pbrooks1

Post by pbrooks1 »

The previous version booted as MBR.
The first time I tried this, the restored version was in the Boot Menu already.
I had tried to use the Windows recovery system to set up the partitions, format the disks, and install a initial dummy Windows system. Then I booted the AIS recovery USB image, and tried to restore over the top of the 'factory Windows 10' - that was unhappy, and despite both AIS recovery and the Windows troubleshooting tool suggesting the Boot Menu and everything looked OK afterwards, it would not boot on its own.

Second time, I deleted the partition and recreated it, and pointed AIS recovery image at the blank slate, and let AIS do the formatting and create the boot menu/boot block etc.
This time, despite the Access Violation error, it clearly made it almost all the way through, as the machine was then bootable and is up and running.
There were a few other issues related to problems restoring some Windows functionality, but thats for another time, and not related to this Access Violation error.
Long story short - machine is now recovered, but thought you'd like to know of the Access Violation error anyway, since it occurred while running the pre-configured USB Flashdisk recovery image.
cheers