automatic delete of backed-up files no longer on backup list

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jlittle

automatic delete of backed-up files no longer on backup list

Post by jlittle »

Hi Barry.
If I'm running generation-based backups, and I delete a file from my pc or remove it from the "files and folders" list, will that file be removed from the existing backups on the backup medium on the next run?
Thanks
John
Barry
Site Admin

Generation based backups

Post by Barry »

If you delete a file from the PC it is not automatically deleted from the backup, if you remove the file from the list of files to backup then it is not automatically deleted from the backup either.

If you want to remove the file from the backup you should use the Manage Backup / Backup Maintenance option, select each file and right click / delete.
Once the files have been removed from the 'backup contents database' you should click either or both of the 'Delete' buttons (Bottom Left) then click 'Save'.

Sorry for the delay answering.

Barry
jlittle

Post by jlittle »

Well it seemed to work okay and the files seem to no longer be available for restoring, but the amount of free space on the drive hasn't changed in Windows explorer. The files I removed added up to about 5GB (before AISB compression) so I would think the amount of space recovered would be noticeable. This process does remove the actual files, right? Thus freeing up space on the drive?

Don't worry about the length of time for your reply; we can't work all the time. :D
John
Barry
Site Admin

disk space following remove

Post by Barry »

Did you click the 'delete' buttons on the bottom right of the maintenance form? This performs the actual removal of the data from the backup.

Barry
jlittle

Post by jlittle »

You mean on the bottom left? I did click them, and the drive's activity light was flashing as if data were moving. Seems there was also a line or something on the window that said it was removing files. Everything seemed right except for no change in the size of free space in Windows explorer. I also did the process on another drive with the same result.
John
jlittle

Post by jlittle »

I just did this process on a third drive and it did show an increase in free space, so I don't know what's going on with the drives that didn't show it.
Thanks for your help.
John
Barry
Site Admin

Recover disk space

Post by Barry »

Hi John

You could try the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option, that will remove any data that is no longer in the files database.

Barry
jlittle

Post by jlittle »

Okay, thanks again.
John