restoring desktop

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jlittle

restoring desktop

Post by jlittle »

Hi Barry.
I have 3 monitors with some of the desktop icons located on each monitor. I had to update the video driver today which resulted in all the icons being on one monitor.
It occurred to me that I had done a backup of the C: drive only yesterday so I decided to do a restore of only the desktop thinking that would be a quick way to restore everything back the way it was. Not only did all the icons remain on the one monitor, but something puzzling happened.

First I did the restore from "all sessions" (being not really sure how to do it). Not only did that not put the icons back where I wanted them, but it also restored a lot of icons that I have deleted in the past. I realized that was because I had used "all sessions" instead of just the session from yesterday. So I did it again and this time chose just yesterday's session and also chose to delete files that didn't exist when I made yesterday's backup. I figured that would delete those old icons that weren't there yesterday; but it didn't delete them.
So now I not only have all my icons on one monitor, I also have to delete all those old icons.
Of course, just manually putting the desktop back the way I want it is faster than writing to you but I'm really curious why all the old previously-deleted icons didn't disappear after the second restore.
Windows 8.1 64-bit, version 5.0.1.478, video card AMD Radeon HD 7500 in a Dell Optiplex 9010MT.
Thanks
John
Barry
Site Admin

All Sessions

Post by Barry »

All sessions shows all files that have ever been backed up.

Your second restore from the last backup session deleted the icons that did not exist on the PC when the latest backup was made (AISBackup should have asked to confirm the deletions).

FYI: Desktop item positions are held in the registry and this was probably reset when the graphics card was changed.

Cheers

Barry
jlittle

Re: All Sessions

Post by jlittle »

Barry wrote:All sessions shows all files that have ever been backed up.

Your second restore from the last backup session deleted the icons that did not exist on the PC when the latest backup was made (AISBackup should have asked to confirm the deletions).
I wasn't clear. My second restore from the last backup session did NOT delete the old icons. That's why I'm puzzled; I thought it would delete them.
John