What is impact of cloning boot drive to new SSD?

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
IanA

What is impact of cloning boot drive to new SSD?

Post by IanA »

I'm considering cloning my boot drive to a new SSD and trying to anticipate the issues I might have.
Is it possible to clone the boot drive without my several AISBackup jobs thinking that all files on the drive have changed and all need to be backed up? If not, I will simply accept this and prepare to restart all AISBackup jobs from scratch.
OR can I change the old drive letter and new SSD drive letter so that AISBackup jobs are none the wiser and carry on as before?

Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

Cloning boot drive to SSD

Post by Barry »

I have cloned a HD boot drive to SSD many times, if you are replacing the HD ensure that you also clone the boot partition (if applicable).

When you boot using the SSD it will boot as the 'C' drive and the existing backup jobs will only see new and updated files on this drive when re-running and existing backup.

If the SSD is going to co-exist in the same PC with the old HD then check that the restored (or copied) partition is in the boot menu (Tools / Edit Windows Boot Menu), if not add it (the partition will appear in the second windows - Additional Operating Systems). There is no need to copy the boot partition to the SSD if you are keeping the old HDD in the PC.

Perhaps a video of the process should be made?

Barry
IanA

Re: Cloning boot drive to SSD

Post by IanA »

Very interesting.

Thanks for the advice Barry - It's prompted me to do a little more research before taking the plunge and great to know that I don't have to restart all my backup jobs at the same time as taking on a new nail biting task.

Have a good one!