How to use Removable Disks like tapes

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
beheer

How to use Removable Disks like tapes

Post by beheer »

On request of some of my customers I make, beside a (AIS)backup to a NAS, also a backup to removable reusable media of their servers. I used to use tapes for this, but with Windows Server 2008 tapes are no longer supported directly so I will have to use removable SATA disks ('RD1000') for this.

However, I would like to use these like I used the tapes, so for each businessday of the week 1 disk, and for friday 3 alternating disks.

At the same time the idea is to use AISbackup for this (NTBACKUP seems to be gone in Windows Server 2008)

What is the recommended way? If I indicate I will use removable disks AISbackup seems to assume that the same removable disks will be used each day.

Should I create a separate AIS backup job for each of the removable disks, so MO, TU, WE, TH, F1, F2, F3?

Please advise

MTIA

Arie
Barry
Site Admin

Multiple destinations, same job

Post by Barry »

This could be done with one backup job if the correct disk is loaded on each day, the volume names would indicate the day of the week. However if Tuesday's disk was loaded on Wednesday this disk would be used instead. If multiple disks are loaded at the same time then the disk containing the oldest backup is used (and this may not correspond to the correct day of the week).

Each new backup is based on the contents of the disk used for the 'next' backup and not 'yesterdays' backup (unless yesterdays disk was not swapped).

If you want to continue to make backups to 'Mon' Tue'....and 3 disks for 'Fri' you could do this with 5 backup jobs, one each for 'Mon' through to 'Thu' and 3 disks for the 'Fri' job (add 3 external drives to the job). If for some reason two of Fridays disks are loaded on Friday the backup will be made to the disk holding the oldest backup.

I personally would use one job with 8 external drives and make sure the correct disk was loaded each day; and it would not be a major problem (to me) if one of the disks was accidentally used on the wrong day.

This probably sounds more complicated than the process actually is.

Would any readers like a video made about this kind of scenario?

Barry
beheer

Post by beheer »

Thanks for the advice.

To clarify, it is not possible to insert multiple of these removable hard disks at the same time. The server has a built-in "station" which can hold only 1 removable disk at a time, kind of the same system as a floppy disk station.

Regards,

Arie
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

The list of backup volumes can be set-up like this:

I am assuming that a complete backup will fit on one volume as AISBackup only supports multiple volumes (with the same volume name) on single backup destinations, i.e. multiple volumes with the same volume name.

Barry
beheer

Post by beheer »

Barry wrote:The list of backup volumes can be set-up like this:
Can I view/change this list of backup volumes in an existing job? When I use the 'Change Backup Destination' option I don't see this list.

Arie
Barry
Site Admin

Changing a local drive backup to multiple external drive

Post by Barry »

If the disk has installed as a local drive backup instead as an external drive backup then there is no quick way to convert the job, however this can be changed at our end. If the icon on the all jobs tab shows a hard drive rather than a usb connector then the following procedure must be followed when using the existing version of AISBackup.

If the job is already registsred as an external drive backup then jump to external start here.

Manually copy the local drive backup to an external drive maintaining the same directory structure.

Manage Backup / Remove Backup Job From List

Yes to acknowlege the remove

Select Keep so the the current backup is not deleted

Tools / Open Job From Backup Media

Open one of the .bdb files from the external drive

Yes to reinstate

No to Restore only

The job is now set as a single external drive backup (as shown by the usb icon)

external start here

Select the job and choose the menu option Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings

Click the Destination Settings tab

Select Open backup contents from backup media

Click Modify external drive list

Click Show all disks

From the Select drive drop down select the original drive, please note for this style of backup all drives should have a unique volume name. The click Add Drive. Once all the drives have been edded click OK. the OK again.

The job has now been converted to a multiple destination backup.

Barry
beheer

Re: Changing a local drive backup to multiple external drive

Post by beheer »

Barry wrote:If the disk has installed as a local drive backup instead as an external drive backup
When I look at the Disk Properties in Windows Explorer, it says:
Type: Removable Disk
File System: NTFS
Used space: 109,528,317,952 byts 102 GB
Free space: 210,533,744,640 bytes 298 GB
Capacity: 320,062,062,592 bytes 298 GB

Can I use the method you described for a local drive also for a removable disk If so, is it sufficient to copy only the directory structure and a .dbd file to the external drive? I'd rather avoid having to copy over 100 GB to an external drive, so if it works with just the .dbd file, or a small number of files, I'd rather use that method.

MTIA

Arie
Barry
Site Admin

Renovable style backup jobs

Post by Barry »

With an existing removable style backup job you should be able to start at the step external start here as the Destination tab should be displayed in Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

If you do not mind changing the buz file manually to convert the job, alter the file in notepad as follows - take a backup copy first!
Turn word wrap on and look for the line starting with AIS7

Change the drive letter of the destination from C: to [RM]:, in the example the drive is K:.

Next look for the H parameter after the date of last run (held as a number) in this example H is after 40443.0215, change the H to RF[VOLUMENAME] where volume name is the name of the disk now, in this example the volume name is [VM], so the parameter is RF[VM]. In removable drive backups this parameter is sometimes R on its own (instead of H), in this case change the R to RF[VOLUMENAME].

Be careful not to remove any tab characters as the file is tab delimited. The file layout was designed over 10 years ago before XML became popular - and you have a backup in case tab is accidentally removed.

Do not worry about the other K:\ you see in the file as this is the last volume used and will be updated at run time.

Before========================================

AIS7 K:\Backups\Source\Source.zip [VM] C:\Users\All Users\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database\Source.bdb
C:\Users\All Users\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database\Source.log K:\ Drive 40443.0215 H 0 2 1 4
1MgRxhxS1MexeGgSccx8aC1LghaRhe1KbJ1N1xxR1MbJgLb9eFxK1DhKabcSaA1FeKhAcygAsHxKcxb8h1hQxExR11b8eHgAcUegxxaAhBhMgcgRxC1LbvxR
xee1cKbhhHh919hReTbJe8aQ1AcLhJxhxSeBeM1AcRbJeUexxXbKgMhQb8gU
abxLxVc91PhHhJchhTahhaaAaFbKbMePeCxbwyxB1Kxacb1RbMxRhDxSg91VeFhW2KhAbPgM1T 100 0 1 0 0 Source 0 0 0 1 0 2500 51200 0 0 21 0 0 0 1 Job OK
0 1 60 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 7 All 5 None 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 None 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 490DAAD9FBCDFD44983F42FA34261F35 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
30 50 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

After========================================

AIS7 [RM]:\Backups\Source\Source.zip [VM] C:\Users\All Users\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database\Source.bdb
C:\Users\All Users\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database\Source.log K:\ Drive 40443.0215 RF[VM] 0 2 1 4
1MgRxhxS1MexeGgSccx8aC1LghaRhe1KbJ1N1xxR1MbJgLb9eFxK1DhKabcSaA1FeKhAcygAsHxKcxb8h1hQxExR11b8eHgAcUegxxaAhBhMgcgRxC1LbvxR
xee1cKbhhHh919hReTbJe8aQ1AcLhJxhxSeBeM1AcRbJeUexxXbKgMhQb8gU
abxLxVc91PhHhJchhTahhaaAaFbKbMePeCxbwyxB1Kxacb1RbMxRhDxSg91VeFhW2KhAbPgM1T 100 0 1 0 0 Source 0 0 0 1 0 2500 51200 0 0 21 0 0 0 1 Job OK
0 1 60 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 7 All 5 None 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 None 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 490DAAD9FBCDFD44983F42FA34261F35 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 30 50 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Multiple destinations, same job

Post by Barry »

Version 2.8 build 390 supports the update of regular local drive backup jobs and removable media backup jobs (e.g. flash drives and zip drives) to backup jobs that support multiple disk drive destinations.

Barry
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

Each new backup is based on the contents of the disk used for the 'next' backup and not 'yesterdays' backup (unless yesterdays disk was not swapped).
berryla

Post by berryla »

This probably sounds more complicated than the process actually is.
yingxuy

Post by yingxuy »

Dp not seen anything about that!
gavind

Re: Multiple destinations, same job

Post by gavind »

Barry wrote:Version 2.8 build 390 supports the update of regular local drive backup jobs and removable media backup jobs (e.g. flash drives and zip drives) to backup jobs that support multiple disk drive destinations.

Barry
Thanks. I bet not everyone knows about that yet.
110%, all the time. Image