Is AISFAM necessary for backup?

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
rustynissan

Is AISFAM necessary for backup?

Post by rustynissan »

I know that a full backup requires the AISFAM software for Vista x64, but is it absolutely necessary? If my hard drive were to fail, I would have to re-install my operating system on the new hard drive and then restore my system, right? If I close any running programs before performing the backup, are the only Opened Exclusive files ones belonging to the OS which I will have to re-install anyway?
Barry
Site Admin

AISFAM on x64

Post by Barry »

If you have a full backup then it is possible to restore your complete system using another PC or the AISBackup restore CD without having to re-install the operating system first. There are restore examples under the AISBackup menu item, above.

Without a complete backup you would have to install Windows, all your programs, set-up the programs and then restore the data from your backups. You would then have to apply any patches and updates made to Windows and your programs.

I'll have a go at backing up x64 Vista without AISFAM and then restoring it using the AISBackup restore CD to see if it will function. I'll report back when this is done.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

This post is about backing up and restoring Windows Vista 64 bit without using the AISFAM opened exclusive file support.

I removed AISFAM from a Windows Vista Business PC and ran a backup (after re-boot to ensure AISFAM was not running). Several files could not be backed up because they were opened exclusive. I changed the job to ignore Opened Exclusive files, this way they are logged as warnings instead of errors. I recommend closing everything except for AISBackup before running the backup.

I formatted a disk partition on a new (actually an old) disk for a test restore.

I restored Windows Vista to the disk and used the dual boot menu option that AISBackup created to boot this version of Vista. Windows booted to the logon screen and I proceeded to login. At this point I was greeted with the message:

An unauthorized change was made to Windows.
Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited Windows functionality.
Use the link below to find out how to fix Windows.

The only option we have then is Internet Explorer showing the Genuine Advantage failure web-page. The page suggests running a Windows Disk Clean, by clicking Start /All Programs / Accessories / Disk Cleanup; however there is no start button as the Windows shell is not running.

Here a little lateral thinking is required: To get Windows Explorer to run I pressed F1 for help, then looked for help on command prompt, then found a page with ‘Start Command Prompt’ I then clicked the link, within the command prompt Window I typed EXPLORER then pressed Enter, Voila Windows shell is now running so I was able to follow the disk clean-up instructions, above.

I re-booted Windows and was asked to re-enter the Windows product key, I did this, Windows re-activated itself over the internet and everything looked okay.

I suggest you try this scenario yourself before you need it for real; it is certainly quicker than re-installing Window, Programs, Updates and Patches and then restoring data using AISBackup.

As an alternative backup method: If you make the AISBackup Restore CD using a registered copy of AISBackup then you may run ‘one off’ full backups of your Vista C: drive from the Restore CD to an external drive etc. This may be a better option if you do not want to install AISFAM. The backup options are not on the CD if it is made with the trial version of AISBackup.

Barry
Imogen123

Post by Imogen123 »

Twitter and YouTube reports suggesting landfall in Okotoks, Canada, near Calgary. In pictures: People Stuff in orbit Maui to South Florida also reported seeing parts of runaway satellite flashes as it rose through the atmosphere of the Earth's orbital speed of 17,500 miles per hour. Debris found in western Canada confirms the prediction from NASA that the remains were likely to enter the Earth's atmosphere near the Pacific Ocean and potentially spread the dirt around a 500 mile long.
nikkil

Post by nikkil »

Hi rustynissan, I'm just wondering if you are still using this. I'd like to know what version you are using right now please.
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image