Error recovering network mappings during backup

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I created soms backup jobs backing up some NAS related network mappings. All works well until I kill a AISBackup instance under Vista. During a backup restart none of the network mappings within backup jobs are found.

Work around: create a new job with one network mapping and all works fine again for all jobs!

What is happening here?

Bart Kamminga
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I've got two Vista x64 machines. One of them displays a red cross for all maped NAS shares. What does this means? Shares are selectable but the button "Mapped Network Drives" comes up with nothing. The other machines works fine, but from there I don't backup any share. I've checked the firewall, re-installed AISBackup and created new job, checked network passwords under Vista. Vista has no problems.

With regards,

Bart Kamminga
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

When trying manually map a share I get the following message: "1222: The network is not present or started". What is involved in this check? I don't get this message on the 2nd Vista x64 machine. What could be the difference?

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

64 bit and network

Post by Barry »

I am pretty sure the problem is owing to the state that AISBackup is in when it calls the network commands for the first time. Once the network is accessed in the correct 'Windows On Windows' state then it does not matter which WOW state AISBackup is in for subsequent netqowrk mapping. In case you are wondering, AISBackup must switch WOW state to get access to 64 bit Windows data and registry for backup.

Here is a pre-release version of AISBackup that was not uploaded publically, but fixes this problem:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/dl.php?b=338

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

1) The red cross is gone. Running in the foreground everything goes well but running a schedule with the same user in the background I get the following output:

AISBackup job: Backup Data Files (Shared) Backup completed successfully (No drives selected for backup are available. Aborting)
23:12:17 SSTART Backup Session 2 Auto Run: Started on dinsdag 17 maart 2009 at 23:12:17 Version: 2.7 (338)
23:12:18 INF Platform: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
23:12:18 INF Run Time Parameters: [QYYYYYYY]
23:12:18 INF User Account: Bart Kamminga
23:12:18 INF Running un-attended (non-interactively)
23:12:19 INF Creating Session: 2
23:12:19 ERR No drives selected for backup are available, aborting
23:12:19 WARN Missing drive excluded from backup: K:\
23:12:19 inf Preparing completion log

2) Also searching for computers within Map Network Drive activate searching but without results (list stays empty).

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

64bit Vista backup problem

Post by Barry »

This may be an administrator vs. non-administrator mapping problem that can happen with Vista somtimes especially if the remote share requires a password. Does the remote share require a password?

If the job is scheduled to run under the logged on user account and the account 'Bart Kamminga' is logged on does AISBackup work?

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

1) the scheduled jobs did run OK before the prpoblem occured;
2) all the Vista users has full permissions on every share (QNAP) and is the same for all installations. No special user/password needed;
3) the background job runs under the same user as the foreground job.

I think that the foreground Map Network Drive search problem (which results in an empty list) is pointing to the problem.

Can a trace help?

Bart Kamminga
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

Tonight the red cross is back again. None of the shares is recognized. So, we are back again. I can't think of an interesting test on this moment. Maybe some trace?

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Network shares on 64bit Windows

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

I have solved the scan for computers problem, this was owing to the WOW64 state AISBackup was in. I think that if you scan for computers and then run a network job it will not work using the version of AISBackup you have.

I am baking up a 64bit Vista system to an XP system on the LAN using interactive AISBackup. Once that has finished I will set-up a job to backup a share on the XP system to a backup destination on a local drive of the Vista 64 system.

I will then check the same jobs run via a schedule.

Will this cover your backup scenario?

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Update

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

Please try build 339 as this fixes the network access problem, including the computer search option:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/dl.php?b=339

This version has been tested both interactively and non-interactively (user not logged on - password supplied to schedule).

Please let me know if this version works.

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

Version 339 tested. What comes out:

1) foreground job goes well with pre-defined mappings. Again list is empty after searching for "Map Network Drive";

2) background job does not see any drives:

AISBackup job: Backup Data Files (Shared) Backup completed successfully (No drives selected for backup are available. Aborting)
9:00:09 SSTART Backup Session 2 Auto Run: Started on vrijdag 20 maart 2009 at 9:00:09 Version: 2.7 (339)
9:00:10 INF Platform: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
9:00:10 INF Run Time Parameters: [QYYYYYYY]
9:00:10 INF User Account: Bart Kamminga
9:00:10 INF Running un-attended (non-interactively)
9:00:12 INF Creating Session: 2
9:00:12 ERR No drives selected for backup are available, aborting
9:00:12 WARN Missing drive excluded from backup: K:\
9:00:12 inf Preparing completion log

Firewall excluded. Excluded list checked. Selection of files looks good: share is selected, suffixed with host name and userid (Bart Kamminga). No red crosses. Shares are listed in "Map Network Drive" but all entries has "this job" set to "no".

I think that the foreground "Map Network Drive" search problem (which results in an empty list) is pointing to the problem. In the past it worked. Is it possible to set some trace for this action?

Bart Kamminga
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

Reading the output of the scheduled job I know for sure that "this job" set to "no" entries results in the "9:00:12 ERR No drives selected for backup are available, aborting" message.

So, the basic question is: why is it not possible to map network drives within the job definition? Mapped drives within Vista are selectable. Therefor the foreground jobs goes well but the background job not.

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Backup problem

Post by Barry »

Please send the job files using ther Help / Bug Report option so that I can set-up the same job here. (Click Attach Job Files: <jobname>).

I am running tests using Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1.

Are you saying the the share is mapped permanently to drive K:?

Is network discovery turned on? (I just tested with network discovery off and AISBackup is able to browse the network)

Is the schedule running with the higest privillege? Are you running AISBackup as an administrator when running the job interactively?

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

The Bug Report is send to you.

1) share is permanently mapped to drive K:\

2) Network discovery is on. Vista network sees all my hosts. Without firewall the problem is the same;

3) Schedules runs with the highest privillege and as an administrator.

I tested 339 on a second machine with an almost basic Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 installation with the same result/behaviour.

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Network backup problems 64-bit

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

I have looked at your job and the backup is from drive K:\, If K: is a network drive AISBackup holds the share name and not the drive letter (network drives could be mapped to different drive letters). Please set-up a test job using build 339 to see if the job is set-up correctly and storing all network drives are shares and not drive letters.

The log file you sent only shows two interactive jobs and not the scheduled jobs, it’s as if the scheduled job is using a different username and backup database folder. Is it possible that the interactive job is running from a domain logon and the scheduled job running from a local logon? This could explain the failure and may be corrected if you logon to a local user and set-up the schedule from there.

I am not sure of the consequences so will make my Vista join a domain.

Barry