Filetype based compression

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
Brian

Filetype based compression

Post by Brian »

My data consists of many types.
From highly compressible .txt to incompressible .mpg files.
To speed up backups and reduce CPU load I want to suggest that the
compression level is automatically selected based of extension.
Barry
Site Admin

Compression

Post by Barry »

We looked at all the compression options that come with the zip product and the compression used gives the best time vs. compression. Some files are already excluded from compression, e.g. WAV, MPG, but AISBackup monitors all file types for the actual compression ratio and can automatically choose which files do not benefit from compression, actually using the value of 4% saving (compression ratio of 96%). To set this up choose Tools / Do not compress file list / Auto Update.

To reduce CPU utilization show the CPU Utilization Bar on the main form (click Pause during a backup and then select the show CPU utilization option) and move the slide control.

Barry
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the quick reply Barry!

I found the exclusion list.
If I understand correctly AIS has some AI that detects uncompresseble filetypes? (Auto update)
Looks great I have to say!
Barry
Site Admin

AI?

Post by Barry »

I would not go as far as to say AI :-)

AISBackup keeps track of compression for each file type in 4 file size categories so it can 'guesstimate' the size of backup. AISBackup continually updates this file just in case your jpg's are a different average compression ratio to mine.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Post by Brian »

guesstimates are AIish enough for me.

Surely very complex AI can be added. But that probabbly takes as much CPU time as the compressing itself.

So I say again AISBackup with the AI of AI :P