1008: An aatempt was made to reference a token that does not

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
rodscholl

1008: An aatempt was made to reference a token that does not

Post by rodscholl »

Getting this popup on running a backup job:
ASIBAckup Open File Support for 64-bit Windows
1008: An aatempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

This occurs with an AISBACkUP popup (blue window): saying AISBACKUP:Please Wait
Preparing to backup open exclusive files on c:\

Across the top of the main backup window says:
AISBackup Version 3.2(Running as Administrator)

There's is only one account on this PC, (thus it is an administrator account).

After clicking OK on the windows message -- it closes, as does the AISBackup window, and the job completes. I'm having trouble with all of my backups, but this seemed the simplest, so I figured we could start there... Sorry and thanks!

Most importantly, here is the log file:

Backup Session: 1052 Started on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 at 11:26:16 AM Version: 3.2 (428)
Platform: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe
User Account: scholl
Running as Administrator
Calculating backup
Files Selected For Backup: 26 (173.10 MB)
Already Backed up: 10,788
Excluded From Backup: 238 Files.
Backup destination: K:\AIS_ARCHIVE\epsilon_fea.zip, Volume ID: [PASSPORT], Signature: [153F02000000100000000000]
Backing up NTFS Security Settings and Alternate Data Streams.
Test Method: File Integrity Method.
Backing up: 26 Files of 173.00 Megabytes
Excluding: 238 Files (See Modify Files and Folders/Exclusions)
Already on Backup: 10,788 Files
Compression Level: High
Estimated Size of Backup: 149.31 MB
Backing up NTFS folder security settings
Using Media: [PASSPORT]
Backing up 20 Exclusively Opened Files
Initialised Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: C:\
Failed to backup: C:\Users\scholl\NTUSER.DAT [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM.LOG2 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM.LOG1 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE.LOG1 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY.LOG2 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM.LOG2 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY.LOG1 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM.LOG1 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT.LOG2 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT.LOG1 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\COMPONENTS.LOG1 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\COMPONENTS.LOG2 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE.LOG2 [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\COMPONENTS [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Failed to backup: C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT [ERROR Access Denied: The file opened exclusively by another process.]
Testing Backup
Test Completed
Checking for redundant backup data (Sessions)
============ Pruning 6 files from Session: 1050 (Excess )
K:\AIS_ARCHIVE\epsilon_fea_4474.zip: Removing 1 File
K:\AIS_ARCHIVE\epsilon_fea_4475.zip: Removing 5 Files
Finished checking redundant backup data
26 Files were backed up and tested successfully
Test 1 - Completed successfully
Backing up Backup Contents File Database Files
Time Calculating Backup: 15 Seconds
Time Backing up: 19 Seconds
Time Testing Backup: 1 Second
Total Time: 35 Seconds
Time Deleting Old Versions: 0 Seconds
Backed up at 538.35 MB per minute
Compression Ratio: 86%
Not Compressible 0.00 MB 0% (Not included in compression ratio)
Tested backup at 8,992.02 MB per minute
Backup Session Ended: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:26:54 AM
Barry
Site Admin

Problems with VSS

Post by Barry »

This is a problem with Microsoft's VSS but unfortunately AISBackup did not detect a failure and log the correct error message.

This problem was identified by another customer of ours last week and a test version of AISBackup was uploaded to:

http://aiscl.co.uk/dl.php?d=430

Please download and run this version and re-post the log.

There are likely to be VSS messages in the Windows Error Logs:

Right click Computer / Manage / Expand Event Viewer / Windows Logs and check the Application and System logs.

The problem identified last week was caused by backing up open exclusive files on TrueCrypt volumes, this is something that TrueCrypt have not resolved owing to a lack of documentation from Microsoft.

Barry
rodscholl

Post by rodscholl »

I'll try that ... but maybe you are being overly polite to microsoft -- I'll disable / block undo just about anything (and rue that I can't go back to WinXP -- or better yet, Win NT!) -- so what's this VSS, and can I take it out back and shoot it? Truecrypt sounds worse...

I'll do some googling, but wanted to express willingness to do that and avoid test version of AISBackup, etc.

Rod
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup and VSS

Post by Barry »

The test version of AISBackup fixes a problem reporting problems with VSS and I would like you to try this version so that I have some idea of what is going wrong. This version will be released within a couple of weeks.

VSS is the Volume Copy Shadow service and enables the backup of open exclusive (locked) files. VSS usually works very well.

Did you look at the event logs?

Barry