Image Backup

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Nicolas Forwood

Image Backup

Post by Nicolas Forwood »

Had to re install Vista and I found the worst part of the re install was to get all the MS Updates especially Service Pack 1 & 2 which each one is about 450MB. I'm now up to 220 updates installed and more are on the way.

I was told that a regular back up does not include updates but if I make an Image backup, it will include all the updates.

I made now on my USB external HD an AISBackup of my C;\ suitable for disaster recovery as it says and AISBackup made my external HD bootable and when I boot into it I can see the AISBackup screen and I'm ready for a restore.

I wonder is this backup similar to an image backup?
Barry
Site Admin

Backup

Post by Barry »

A regular backup of the 'C' drive does contain all the updates, a regular backup of the whole drive is equivalent to an image. Each time the same backup is run a new dated session is made (even though not so many files are backed up) therefore you end up with many images in the same backup. This enables a restore to be made of the PC to any of these dated sessions so even if a problem goes unnoticed you may restore back to a point where the PC was running OK.

The file copy option only contains a 'image' of the current state of the PC and therefore leaves you venerable to problems on the PC that may have also been copied.

Why did you think that a regular backup of the disk drive does not contain the updates?

Barry
Nicolas Forwood

Post by Nicolas Forwood »

I was told in another forum to consider an image backup and since I never noticed in AISBackup the image word I thought to ask.

Thanks for the help Barry