External USB Boot Menu

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Nicolas Forwood

External USB Boot Menu

Post by Nicolas Forwood »

A couple weeks ago or so I used the AISB “Tools / Create AISB Restore CD or USB External Flash Drive” to make my external 1.5TB USB hard disk bootable and it did a nice job. Now at boot time I had a menu with 2 entries:

Windows Vista Home Premium
Seagate USB External Hard Disk

The Windows Vista menu was taking me to Vista startup and the Seagate entry was taking me to AISB restore environment and therefore I didn’t have to change the BIOS settings if I wanted to boot the USB external HD

Later I did a copy of my C:\ to Seagate and last night I did a complete backup of my C:\ to Seagate. The program asked me if I want to make the Seagate USB bootable but since I already had done that I said NO. The backup finished successfully after 5.5 hrs but now the Seagate USB External HD menu entry does not work (it takes me to the Vista repair window and then re boots). But if I go to the BIOS and change the settings to boot from USB then I can boot to the AISB restore environment.

In the backup log I have among others these 2 entries which I don’t understand:
10:21:14 PM WARN Missing drive excluded from backup: \\?\\
3:23:55 AM RESINF 4 Files were deleted prior to backup
Perhaps the 4 deleted files were the boot entries?

I used again the “Tools / Create AISB Restore CD or USB External Flash Drive” but nothing changed. Did I loose the functionality of the Seagate menu entry because I said NO when I did my C:\ back up or I did something else wrong?

Not a big deal but it was nice to have the choice menu at boot time, more convenient
Barry
Site Admin

Boot menu problems

Post by Barry »

The Windows Vista menu was taking me to Vista startup and the Seagate entry was taking me to AISB restore environment and therefore I didn’t have to change the BIOS settings if I wanted to boot the USB external HD

The Tools / Edit Windows Boot Menu will help you recreate the dual boot menu.

10:21:14 PM WARN Missing drive excluded from backup: \\?\\

Somehow a folder (disk?) called \\?\\ was selected for backup, please e-mail the .buz file for this backup or use the Help / Bug Report option that will zip the necessary job files to identify the problem.

3:23:55 AM RESINF 4 Files were deleted prior to backup

These are files that were selected for backup that no longer exist when AISBackup got around to actually backing them up. These files are usually cookies or temporary files used by Windows Search Indexing.

Barry
nikkil

Post by nikkil »

Hi. Has someone tested this already if it works on Windows 7 with no issues?
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image