Error recovering network mappings during backup

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I am using a plain home network without a domain server.

Creating a new testjob backing up the same network drive is working OK in the fore- and background. I think I know were did comes from: I created a special backup userid ("Backup (AIS)") on my old PC. Installing my new PC I am using just my normal account ("Bart Kamminga"). I just re-created the jobs via "Open Job from backup media". Is here something going wrong?

Besides this there is still the problem that I can't discover any shares by searching for "Map Network Drive".

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Network problems

Post by Barry »

When you search for computers does the wait graphic (blue clock) display for a few seconds or does it display very briefly?

After searching for computers are you able to map a network share without restarting AISBackup?

There may be a problem with opeining and using a job created on another computer. It should be possible to modify the files and folders, remove the file selectio and save, and then make the file selection and save to force AISBackup to check the source drive type (local or network) of the backup.

This does not explain why the log file did not show the scheduled jobs.

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

The blue clock is looping for some time (app. 6 rounds) and then it stops and the list stays empty. So, no mapping can be done. All the mapped shares by Vista are visual with "This Job" set to "No".

I use the option "Open job from backup media" quite often but never changed the userid. For once I did it now. For now I have to re-create the jobs that are related to the shares and backup all over again or do you have a better solution?

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Display Shares?

Post by Barry »

If you type \\computer in the share text box and then click display shares, are the share names displayed from the remote PC?

If you then wait about a minute and click Computers a few times does this computer show in the list?

On this system when running on Vista 64bit not all computers are showing up withgout re-trying a few times. When I type //SERVER1 and click display shares, the shares display okay.

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

Typing in \\QNAP-TS-109-II displays all the share names. Clicking several times on computer Search results still in an empty list.

In the job where you got a Bug report from I removed the K-mapping and mapped it again within AISBackup. At this moment the job runs. So the K-drive is included in the background schedule! (is it possible to fill some sort of a log file so that you can see what the job is doing in the background?).

Maybe we have developed soms workarounds, but I get the feeling that finding the cause is more difficult.

I've got a lap-top with Vista x64 SP1 and the same firewall (Kaspersky) on it. A Network search by AISBackup is succesfull and find all the network hosts.

(is it also possible to add the host name to the e-mail heading?)

Bart Kamminga
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I tested AISBackup v332 on the lap-top with Vista x64 and Kaspersky. the search funtion within Map Network Drive works fast and successful.

On the other PC's I have de-activated Secundairy Logon. Could this be the problem?

Bart Kamminga
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

For scheduled backgrounds jobs it looks neccesary to have mapped network drive with "This Job" set to "Yes". Otherwise the job will find no mapped drive and stop. For creating a drive with "This Job" set to "yes" with the same permanent drive letter I have to disconnect the drive and then manually map the drive to the same letter with AISBackup. Then exit AISBackup and map the drive back under Vista. There is one "little" thing: AISBackup select all the files for backup as if a reset was initiated.

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Searching for computers

I found that if AISBackup cannot find computers Windows itself cannot browse for computers either, however if you know the computer name you can get the shares by typing the computer name and clicking ‘Display Shares’.

Mapping

Vista mapping is a pain when you are required to run a job as an administrator:

In a 32-bit installation Vista here if I open Explorer I see drive Z: mapped to the remote drive \\swordfish\c, if I then run AISBackup as an administrator and use the View / Windows Explorer (View as administrator) I see the mapped drives Y: to \\swordfish\backupdata and Z: to \\Swordfish\C, however the Z: drive connection has the [red X] which signifies that the drive is not connected. If I double click the Z: drive the drive connects okay. Therefore there are two sets of mappings 1 for Administrator and the other for the non-administrator account. I then mapped the Administrator to \\swordfish\data3, but Explorer still shows the drive mapped to C:, however when I browse the drive using explorer the items shown are from the Data3 drive, which is correct. This surely is a bug in Windows Vista. I looked at the Z: connection on the non-administrator copy of Explorer and the Z: drive still points to \\swordfish\c - which is correct and Z: browses \\swordfish\c. As all drives are set to reconnect at re-boot I rebooted. Here things get worse – The non-administrator Windows now has Z: mapped to \\swordfish\data3 and not \\swordfish\c and the administrator version of explorer dowse the Y: mapping to \\swordfish\backupdata and the Z: mapping to \\swordfish\backupdata, with the [Red X] – I can browse \\swordfish\backupdata using the Z: share. However if you were still expecting Z: to be mapped to \\swordfish\c on the non-administrator version of explorer you would be out of luck. I manually mapped Z: back to \\swordfish\c and was able to access the correct files. Experiment yourself and you'll see what I mean. I did not try any of the above with mappings to different PC's using different passwords - all the PC's I used share the same user name and password.

I checked the above mapping problem with Windows 7 and everything works okay – the non-admin and admin Explorer show the same drive mappings – and AISBackup’s drag and drop restore works without the View / Windows Explorer (View as administrator) option and you may use regular explorer (I see this as a bug fix in Windows 7 over Windows Vista and should be made avalable by Microsoft for no charge).

The ‘This Job – Yes’ indicator is used to show that the mapped drive is known to the AISBackup job for either backup source of destination. All mapped drives used with AISBackup must be known by their UNC name and not drive letter (AISBackup always attempts to map the drive if it is not already mapped.

Barry
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

Hard links were checked during Repair Contents File although the option was not enabled for backup. This feature has a major performance impact. Can you please disable this option when disabled during backup or make it selectable?

Maybe caused by the same problem I got many backups jobs from mapped drives with 100% orphan files. when I do a repair it takes enormous much time to repair the backup content file.

Why is Vista x64 so much different from x86?

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Validate problem

Post by Barry »

The validate option changed recently to separate the integrity check option from the repair database option. I notices a couple of days ago that the orphan option could be called where as in fact the files are not orphans - this is been corrected.

If there are 1000's of orphans this part of the test can be very slow - however, as I mentioned these files should not be orphans.

Once a file has been marked as an orphan you must use the Backup Maintenance option to re-assign the original drive letters (this option is also in AISBackup's validate option).

Unless the backup contents file is damaged then use the Validation integrity check option and not the Contents Repair option.

Barry
BartK

Validate problem

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I understand. But why check the hard links while it is deselected during backup? Can I download the update? I've got a few backups with 100k number of files and the NAS share related backups sometimes mark (not correctly) all the files as changed. Only the verify takes then more then 2 hours. The number of files is increasing. A Vista installation gets trivial to 100k #files and 50GB storage.

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Test Orphans

Post by Barry »

I will add the ability to not validate the hard links. However. The integrity check test option is designed for checking the backup, and should be used where prossible. Only use the repair contents file option if there is a problem with the backup contents file.

Barry
gavind

Post by gavind »

Hi. Sorry to bump this old post but is this implemented already? I mean the feature to skip validating hard links?
110%, all the time. Image