Problems using (QNAP) NAS as source volume with Visa (x86)

Use this forum to post questions and information specific to using AISBackup on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

It took a while but last friday I bought a QNAP TS-109 Pro II NAS server. At this moment I moved most of the idle data to the shares. Using AISBackup I noticed the following errors/behaviour:

Situation: NAS (source) and PC (backup target) on Gbit LAN with MTU 1500.

1) backup failed because for every file I get the message

19:40:06 ERR Failed to backup network file: Check Access Rights or the file was Opened Exclusively: \\QNAP-TS-109-II\ImageFiles\DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 (Konica Minolta)\Dia's J&J\Compressed (1024x683)\Box 10 [1985-1987] Rij 2 (1-50)\BOX_10_1985_1987_02_0042.jpg [ERROR File In-Use by Another Process]

appears. Everything works fine with standard Explorer and FolderMatch (a simple compare program);

2) the performance during the "Preparing Backup" fase is dreadfull. It takes 2 hours to complete the fase for 100.000 files in 4000 folders. A simple Explorer properties view takes a few minutes.

All works fine under Windows XP (x86).

With regards,

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

NAS Backup problem

Post by Barry »

The same job from XP works okay in both respects? i.e. the files are backed up and the prepare backup phase does not take too long?

Unfortunately the prepare backup time did increase with version 2.6 because each file has to be checked to see if it a hard link.

What operating system is the NAS running?

Off subject: Did you try the pre-release version of AISBackup with x64?

Barry
BartK

Re: NAS Backup problem

Post by BartK »

Hello,

Yes, both problems don't occure under XP. What do you mean with "hard link"?

NAS is using ext3.

This morning I saw the x64 update. I will test it this evening.

Bart K.
Barry
Site Admin

Hard Link

Post by Barry »

A Hard Link is where more than one filename uses the same physical data, for example c:\data1.txt and c:\users\bart\documents\data2.txt could both 'point' to the same physical data, so if c:\data1.txt is changed data2.txt would also change. In Vista you can make hard links with MKLINK. Vista has 1000's of hard links in the Operating System folders. The Hard Links are also known as Posix files and these are supported from version 2.6 of AISBackup on XP and Vista - This also means you can restore Vista from a PC running 2000 - but you may then need to 'fix' the boot files.

I have copied a few GB of files to a Linux NAS formatted as FAT32 (the only option with this NAS) I will test a backup from Vista as soon as I re-boot after finishing this post.

Barry
BartK

Re: Hard Link

Post by BartK »

Hard Link: is that the same thing as Junctions. Is is usefull to look for hard links when ext3 is the source filesystem? Are hard links only valid for NTFS filesystems? Maybe you can skip this check when the source filesystem isn't NTFS.

Bart K.
BartK

Post by BartK »

Barry,

Do you already have an idea what is causing problem 1). At this moment I can't make succesfull runs under Vista.

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

NAS Backup problem

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

Do you have the same problem from a different Visa PC?

Barry
BartK

Re: NAS Backup problem

Post by BartK »

I've got three Vista (x86) and one Vista (x64) and all got the same problem. With XP there is no problem.

Selecting files is NO problem. It's all about the message:
22:57:13 ERR Failed to backup network file: Check Access Rights or the file was Opened Exclusively: \\QNAP-TS-109-II\ImageFiles\CameraWindow (Canon)\Images\2008\IMG_11341.JPG [ERROR File In-Use by Another Process]

Maybe you can send me a debug/trace version to see what is happening.

Bart Kamminga
[/img]
Barry
Site Admin

Vista problem

Post by Barry »

Is the backup NTFS Security option set? If it is please try un-setting this option.

Can you also try the disk-to-disk copy option for a few files from this NAS.

I notice with Vista Business here that if you map a drive as non-administrator then launch AISBackup as an administrator then the mapped drive cannot be seen by AISBackup. If the drive is mapped from explorer running as an administrator then the mapped drive is seen. It seems Vista took one step back when it comes to networking.

Extra trace messages will be added to AISBackup.

Your e-mail address on this forum does not work - I am getting 'undeliverable mail'.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Test program

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

This version of AISBackup traces the Microsoft CreateFile API which is used to open files:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/bart/aisbackup.zip

To turn the trace on click on the main form (so AISBackup has the input focus) and then press * until *** All Debug Mode *** is displayed on the caption bar. Please also reduce the size of the backup to a small number of files.

Barry
BartK

Re: test program

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I've ran the debug program:

9:15:24 FLMSG Backing up: \\QNAP-TS-109-II\ImageFiles\CameraWindow (Canon)\Images\2008\IMG_11340.JPG
9:15:24 ERR Opened OK - : \\QNAP-TS-109-II\ImageFiles\CameraWindow (Canon)\Images\2008\IMG_11340.JPG
9:15:26 ERR Failed to backup network file: Check Access Rights or the file was Opened Exclusively: \\QNAP-TS-109-II\ImageFiles\CameraWindow (Canon)\Images\2008\IMG_11340.JPG [ERROR File In-Use by Another Process]

My profile has been updated.

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

NTFS Settings

Post by Barry »

Hi Bart

Is this job backing up the NTFS file security settings?

If it is please set-up a small job to backup the same file as above but without the security settings (this setting is on by default).

Barry
BartK

Re: NTFS settings

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I've unchecked NTFS settings (and not checked "Run as an Administrator") and the job runs well!

Now I know what is happening. Because I moved a lot of data to the NAS device I resetted the backup jobs and properly re-activeted this option.

When can I use this option?

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

NTFS Settings

Post by Barry »

Windows seems to report all network drives as NTFS regardless of whether they're FAT or one of the SAMBA / LINUX varieties. I will build an Ubuntu server to see if this has changed in Vista.

NTFS security settings only apply to NTFS drives and AISBackup uses the API BackupRead and BackupWrite, I guess it is those routines failing under Vista.

You should be able to run the job as an administrator as long as the NTFS security settings are not selected for backup.

I'll try and get a fix into 2.6.1 so that it does not matter if the Backup NTFS security settings switch is set.

Barry
BartK

Re: NTFS Settings

Post by BartK »

I think that there must be something changed under Vista because the jobs runs well under XP. And I use shared settings, databases, etc.

Will you also look to the performance of the "Preparing Backup" fase?

Bart Kamminga