Aborted BU job to DVD -R

Pre-Release and beta version of AISBackup
Kob

Aborted BU job to DVD -R

Post by Kob »

Using 2.3.2.300 on Win XP SP1, tried to backup a huge file (10GB) to DVD -R. Staging area was about 3GB. Used the internal DVD writer, no compression, overflow prevention at 25MB.

The program wrote the 1st segment (~2GB) OK, then the second segment (~1+GB) OK, but when trying to write the third segment to that one DVD, I got an error message that the DVD can not be accessed and offered to switch the writer program - Which I accepted. Followed some program recommendation on reloading the DVD manually, re-trying etc. - nothing helped. I aborted. Ran job verify - no errors reported. However, I don't want to repeat the attempt and try to backup that huge file again until I hear some feedback. I got the job log if it helps.

Also, I want to report a small bug:
I have several partitions on the HD, with the relevant ones are G: with 100MB or so free space, and T: with 3+ GB free space. When running the backup program for the first time for that huge job, it claimed that g:\backups\ has not enough room. I then directed the program to t:\backup\ (manually creating that sub-dir), but when the backup writing just started the status windows showed g:\backups\foo\foo.zzz at the staging area. Actually, the program used t:\backup\ as staging, but I had to abort to verify that the on-screen status info was wrong.
Barry
Site Admin

backup > 10GB

Post by Barry »

I recall a problem with this a few releases ago, but this was fixed. Please re-confirm that you are running Windows SP1 as it will take a few days to set-up a test rig.

The status message problem will also be fixed.

Barry
Kob

Post by Kob »

Hi Barry,

From the system applet in CPL:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

Thanks for looking into it.
Kob

Post by Kob »

I tried to burn the 10GB file onto DVDs using the backup feature in Acronis' TrueImage program. Went very smoothly, auto-splitting the file into 3 DVDs, and took only about 35-40 minutes (w/o verification).

In the past you mentioned that a replacement to the AISBackup's 3rd party DVD writer is considered. Any progress in this regard?
Barry
Site Admin

Backup 10 GB file

Post by Barry »

As I understand it AISBackup failed to test the backup, this can happen and is often cured by using the AISBackup ASPI drivers - Tools / Program Settings and Options / Troubleshoot CD/DVD. You can disable the test phase and everything will work, however I recommend running the test phase afterwards by using the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option. AISBackup will resume the backup from the last DVD. I hope to test this soon, but I need to build a PC with SP1. Is there any reason why you have not upgraded to SP2?

Barry
Kob

Post by Kob »

Hi Barry,

I hope we are both refer to "test phase" the same, meaning a test at the end of the full writing process or at the end of writing to each medium : the 3rd DVD was never written - I got the error message after changing the 2nd medium with the blank 3rd (as prompted), hoping to continue the backup.

Re SP1: I am just very conservative with programs, and I did not want at the time to deal with programs incompatibilities due to KB fixes by MS. However, I am now rebuilding a new HD from scratch, and it has Win XP SP2. If it is too much of a hassle to test SP1, I will start using AISbackup under SP2 next week and see how it goes.

Edit: I will also test the validation disabling.
Barry
Site Admin

Backup 10GB File

Post by Barry »

I installed Windows XP SP1 along with a 10GB file and a 3.2GB stage area the backup failed to validate on the first DVD so I chose Skipand said yes to the Fix option. I then decided to abort the backup at this point because AISBackup automatically restarts from where if fails ot is aborted. The Fix option switches the DVD APSI from the default to the BinaryMagics drivers, which are supplied with AISBackup, this only needs to be done if the internal default drivers do not work with AISBackup in the test phase.

I restarted the backup and it continued from Disc 2 (segment 4) and this completed over 2 more DVDs and tested successfully.

Barry
Kob

Post by Kob »

Hi Barry,

I glad you managed to test it.

1. Can you then confirm that this specific problem manifests itself under XP SP1 and not under SP2?

2. Is the on-line help refer to Binary Magic drivers as "3rd Party" drivers or as the "Packet Drivers" ? I am a bit confused about the terminology, since the on-line help says that the integrated disk writer must have a full disk staging area available, which evidently it has not.

I appreciate the time invested to resolve it - I will try to repeat the process you outlined.

Thanks.
qzcjerry

Post by qzcjerry »

I installed Windows7 SP1

gavind

Post by gavind »

Kob wrote:Hi Barry,

I glad you managed to test it.

1. Can you then confirm that this specific problem manifests itself under XP SP1 and not under SP2?

2. Is the on-line help refer to Binary Magic drivers as "3rd Party" drivers or as the "Packet Drivers" ? I am a bit confused about the terminology, since the on-line help says that the integrated disk writer must have a full disk staging area available, which evidently it has not.

I appreciate the time invested to resolve it - I will try to repeat the process you outlined.

Thanks.
Hi buddy, by any chance, were you able to get the answers to this?
110%, all the time. Image