Benign bug?

Pre-Release and beta version of AISBackup
IanG

Benign bug?

Post by IanG »

Last night's backup wouldn't fit on the loaded CD, so AISB asked for a new one before it started writing. The backup was fine and the log shows it was tested. I run this job on an IBM T41 laptop - every previous backup has opened the CD drive before the test phase, and I've had to close it manualy. This time the drive wasn't opened. For me, this is a good thing, but assuming AISB has a good reason to open the CD drive in the first place have I found a bug? If not, is there any way to make this the default behaviour?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

CD eject ....... or not

Post by Barry »

The CD writer logic works like this:

If the disc is pre-used it is erased, a flag is set to re-load the disc or Windows will remember the old file names – this causes a major problem if the file names are the same as the pre-used disc as Windows will remember the files in the wrong physical place on the disc – hence the automatic re-load to force Windows to re-read the table of contents.

If the disc is blank (never used before) this reload flag is not set.

The disc is written and if the reload flag is set the disc is ejected and reloaded.

If AISBackup cannot read the disc it re-initialised the disc writer interface.

If AISBackup still cannot read the disc it ejects the disc once more and reloads it.

If the disc still cannot be read it asks for you to either skip the test phase until AISBackup is restarted. Programs like Music Match Jukebox can interfere with Windows detecting what is on the disc – in which case a system re-boot is required (actually forcing the process mim.exe using Task Manager also works).

The end result is most of the time the disc needs to be reloaded.

Barry
IanG

Thank you!

Post by IanG »

Thanks for the explanation!

Ian G.