AISB confused about sizes?

Pre-Release and beta version of AISBackup
IanG

AISB confused about sizes?

Post by IanG »

I'm now using AISB 2.3 build 281, though I'm fairly sure I had a very similar experience when I first installed v2.2

I've just backed up 165 Mbyte data (21 Mbyte once it's compressed) to a CD with almost 400Mbyte free. The backup came up with a message to the effect that there wasn't enough free space and asked for a blank disk. I pressed "Retry" without changing the disk and everything worked OK. The log had the following entries -

17:57:54 CD ASPI: Defaulting to Adaptec's ASPI Layer Version: 4.6.0.1021
17:58:32 WARN Disc volume name reset on disc writer to: None

17:59:05 INF Directory: C:\Backups\Work\ Created
17:59:05 STAT Estimated Size of Backup: 0 bytes

Any thoughts?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Size is an issue in build 281

Post by Barry »

AISBackup does not calculate the approximate compressed size of a backup with build 281 - this was owing to some changes in preparation for Windows Vista - not much of an excuse, I know.

If the problem persists with the next backup session please abort the backup and then run AISBackup in CD Debug mode (press * until CD debug mode is displayed on the caption) and send us the log file - the problem is either owing to the above problem or the free disc space not been ascertained properly.

Barry
IanG

Re: Size is an issue in build 281

Post by IanG »

Barry wrote:AISBackup does not calculate the approximate compressed size of a backup with build 281 - this was owing to some changes in preparation for Windows Vista - not much of an excuse, I know.
I've used worse! Will not calculating the compressed size be temorary?

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Calculating temporary size

Post by Barry »

The temporary size is already fixed here. This may not be the cause of your problem though, that's why I would be interested in the log from the next session.

Barry
IanG

Re: Calculating temporary size

Post by IanG »

It happened again - the log's been sent in a PM. FWIW I did a couple of runs yesterday with the CD already in the drive - no problem. Today I didn't load it until prompted.

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Log

Post by Barry »

I read the log before seeing this post - so you have already confirmed that AISBackup thought there was not enough space on the CD, even though AISBackup can also see 320MB free. The load after prompt may may help - if you can try this again and press F5 (or click refresh) after the disc has loaded and given the wrong information to see if the information updated correctly.

Barry
IanG

Post by IanG »

Sorry, I think I'm missing something - F5 doesn't seem to have any effect, but I'm not sure where I should be looking. Once it's decided the CD's too small, the only size information is at the bottom of the main AISB window, but that's (correctly) showing the uncompressed size of the data to be backed up. I tried F5 after being prompted for the CD and before loading it, and that was shown in the log, but F5 does nothing after the not enough space warning.

Ian G.
Barry
Site Admin

Build 282

Post by Barry »

Build 282 has some extra CD debug trace messages, however AISBackup now trys the code behind the 'Re-try' button itself, which may fix the problem.

Barry
IanG

Post by IanG »

The problem's still there, but the symptoms have changed - now I get the 'load cd' message twice before the backup completes ok. I've sent the log in a pm.

Ian G.