DVD +RWs still not working

Pre-Release and beta version of AISBackup
IanA

DVD +RWs still not working

Post by IanA »

Thought I'd give the DVD +RWs another try...

Created simple tiny job and ran it.
It was very quick and didn't need to be formatted - so that part seems to be OK now.
Ran the job again and it said the DVD was full - (it actually had only a few kb on it).
Selected option to erase, chose quick erase (full erase is same as full format isn't it?) and it seemed to work but still said disc was full.

Cannot use any disc that has been partially used 'cos erase doesn't seem to work and I've used up so many blank RWs with these problems that I've run out of them. So unless there is a way to erase my discs I'll have to perform a full format on them all @ 20 mins each!)

Over to you Barry...

Cheers

Ian
IanA

Post by IanA »

Additional info...

Just for the record, I've got a set of 4 x DVD +RWs that were fully formatted before use and are added to every few days and they are working fine.

Hope this helps,

Ian
Barry
Site Admin

Formatting discs

Post by Barry »

I am not 100% sure but I think you said you formatted the discs with INCD, these are not compatible with AISBackup's format routine. You may have to do a full erase, however I just chose quick erase on a DVD along with the continue after erase check box.

AISBackup did not recognise the disc after it was created, this is because INCD still had it!, Explorer / Right click / Eject enabled the disc to reload correctly.

I have found that when a disc is formatted using a packet writer it is often not possible to get the packet writer to relinquish control of the disc. The backup is running as I type this and Windows still thinks the erased disc contains the last INCD backup – it probably does! This may be because the volume information for INCD is written to a different physical part of the DVD compared to DVD-ROM format (just guessing).

It may also be worth trying a right click / INCD erase.

Once the discs are in DVD-ROM AISBackup should be able to quick erase them each time.

I tried multiple small file backup's (2KB) to DVD+RW and they worked okay to the same DVD.

Barry
IanA

Post by IanA »

I never use INCD. It is present on the PC but without invoking it I can't imagine it could be having any effect.

What do you reckon?

Ian
Barry
Site Admin

INCD

Post by Barry »

Does it run in the task tray? Is the right click / options set to 'on blank disc insertion / do nothing'?

Is the AISBackup / Load Media Form / 'continiue after erase' set?

It may still be workth trying Right Click / Erase Disc if that option is available. Also double check that AISBackup is using the BinaryMagics ASPI drivers - however the Nero drivers should also work.

Barry
IanA

Post by IanA »

Does it run in the task tray?
No

Is the right click / options set to 'on blank disc insertion / do nothing'?
No options in the task tray and the default for the drive is to prompt and when it does prompt me during an AISBackup I close the screen without any action.

Is the AISBackup / Load Media Form / 'continiue after erase' set?
It hasn't been but that only saves me from having to press OK after the erase - doesn't it?

It may still be workth trying Right Click / Erase Disc if that option is available.
Is it possible to change a disc back to it's original unformatted state? - cos' thats when I was having the problems and since I haven't got any unformatted discs left I can't really test it again. I think the answer for the time being is for me to fully format all my part used discs because that seems to work OK.

Also double check that AISBackup is using the BinaryMagics ASPI drivers - however the Nero drivers should also work.
It is - Binary Magics Version 1.0.0.0

Thanks

Ian
Barry
Site Admin

Formet DVD+RW

Post by Barry »

Running out of blank DVD+RW is a problem here too! Once formatted they only need re-formatting - except for the Operating System getting in the way at times. It does not seem to be possible to make them blank.

Try quick erase first because it may work on some of your discs. I also found aborting a full erase after 3 minutes also seems to erase then sufficiently (press eject during erase will abort the erase process - the disc should then show up as erased).

At least the next version of AISBackup remembers the 'All Jobs' sort order.

Barry
IanA

Post by IanA »

Brilliant

Far too hot to be thinking about this anyway!

Cheers

Ian
IanA

Post by IanA »

Just performed a full erase of a DVD +RW via Tools/Erase CD-RW.

The DVD drive light flashes, it seems to complete the erase successfully in about 15 mins but the progress bar doesn't move!

Thought you might like to know!
Barry
Site Admin

INCD

Post by Barry »

I do not think this is an AISBackup problem. Try erasing the DVD with Nero Burning ROM / Recorder / Erase Rewritable Disc.

Barry
IanA

Post by IanA »

I don't understand what you're getting at Barry. The DVD +RWs have been erased by AISBackup (no probs), but there is no progress bar shown during the operation - can't see what erasing by Nero would achieve.

Cheers

Ian