Auto running AIS Backup

Pre-Release and beta version of AISBackup
Brian E

Auto running AIS Backup

Post by Brian E »

I have come across a curious problem. I have most of my backups set to run once a day on Monday to Friday inclusive. On every day except Friday, they run as expected. On Friday, they don't run at all.

I have tried deleting all the backups from the autorunning schedule and recreating them, but this morning (Friday), no backups have run.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Autorun

Post by Barry »

Please send the actual task schedule as an e-mail attachment so that it may be tested here.

Thanks

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you advise me? I'm running the AIS Backups from the startup programs rather than using the MS Task Scheduler.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Sending shortcut's to us

Post by Barry »

Right click the shortcut and choose the menu option Send To / Mail Recipient

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

I've sent you the file you requested. I've also sent you an e-mail this morning with an update to this problem + details of another problem that has returned (asking for a new disc prematurely).
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

CD and Start-up job

Post by Barry »

The CD issue was caused by the disc drawer remaining closed. There is no harm, as the second job is simply requesting the disc it needs.

I will get back to you about the start-up job problem. MS scheduled tasks Monday to Friday work okay, which is stange as the shortcut job and scheduled job uses the same code. As the job you sent in needs testing on a PC with a date change and re-boot. Just a thought, but I guess you have checked that the PC has the correct date?

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Yes, the date and time are correct.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Shortcut parameter 'day of week' problem solution

Post by Barry »

The problem has been identified and will be fixed in the next release of AISBackup, here are a couple of work around options:

If the jobs will not be run on Saturday or Sunday anyway then there is no reason to exclude these days. If AISBackup detects ‘run every day’ it does not include the ‘Day of Week Parameter’ so the job will run on Friday.

The fault is because the day of week parameters, if present, should be the last 7 characters of the parameters, this will be changed so that they can be anywhere in the parameter list as long as they are together, e.g. WeatherData|OMNYYYYYNZ will be okay from the next release, but it is not with the current version of AISBackup. The parameter Z was included to distinguish between ‘shortcut’ and ‘scheduled’ backups, but is not used in the current version of AISBackup, so the work around is to simply remove the Z at the end of each parameter, or just copy and paste the following line into the shortcut parameter:

Code: Select all

"K:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe" "General Files|OMNYYYYYN" "Noise Data 2006A|OMNYYYYYN" WeatherData|OMNYYYYYN

Note: the above will launch AISBackup from the K: drive.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Thanks for the detailed response. I have set AIS Backup to run on all days as that is the simpler option. I only disabled weekends for the infrequent times I need to come into the office at weekends so as to speed things up a bit. It's not that important to me personally, but I'm glad you've found the problem anyway.

One other thing you might like to know. Our IT department turned off Surf Control for an hour earlier this week, following further problems with my noise files backups. I then reran the backup and it worked fine, so the problem is definitely with Surf Control. When the IT staff have time, I'll have to rerun the backup to generate the Surf Control logs for them identify the problem. It may be a while before they can do this as I believe they are tied up building new PC's at the moment, but I could let you know the result if it would be of any interest to you.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Day of week backup

Post by Barry »

This problem is now fixed in build 271.

Barry