Restore registry after Auto saving

Pre-Release and beta version of AISBackup
clockmaker

Restore registry after Auto saving

Post by clockmaker »

I have been trying various things on Beta 2.2 and am having difficulty with backing up and restoring the registry. I may have had diffiulties with earlier versions but I have never tried it so apologies if this topic should go in a different place

I can Backup ( and presumably Restore - I havn't tried it ) the registry using Tools/ Backup Registry ( Tools/Restore Registry )

I have included the Registry files in my main backup using the ' Auto Select Files /Registry Files' option therefore I am taking a copy of the registry when I Autorun my backup using MS Task Scheduler.

Having backed up the registry I may now want to restore it. However unless I know all the files that need to be restored I cannot do that as ' Tools/ Restore Registry ' cannot see these backup registry files.

How can I backup the registry using the MS Task Scheduler and Autorun such that I can easily restore it ?
Norman
Barry
Site Admin

Backing up the registry

Post by Barry »

The best way to automate the backup of the registry on its own is to create a job where only the registry is selected. You may auto-run more than one job at a time if you want a separate job to backup other data (Tasks / Auto Running AISBackup).

There are many sites that describe where the registry files actually are as they differ depending on the version of Windows you are running, for example, Windows XP:

The system registry is in this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\Config\

The User Settings are in these folders (replace <USERNAME> with the actual names).

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\NTUSER.DAT

and

K:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

An easy way to find out where the registry is is to create the job, as above, then use the View / Job Properties option to display (and print?) what was selected. Here is the selecting off this computer (I've moved Files from folder: K:\WINDOWS\system32\config to the top of the list manually as this shows the system registry):

Code: Select all

Selected for backup&#58;

Files from folder&#58; K&#58;\WINDOWS\system32\config

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUser.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\HelpAssistant\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\HelpAssistant\NTUser.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\John\NTUser.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUser.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUser.dat

File&#58; K&#58;\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\NTUser.dat
Barry
clockmaker

Post by clockmaker »

Thanks.
Norman