AISBackup change - feedback required.

Pre-Release and beta version of AISBackup
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup change - feedback required.

Post by Barry »

Hello all users of AISBackup.

In previous versions of AISBackup a backup would only run if there were new or changed files. AISBackup would not run a backup if there were only a mix of new empty folders, deleted folders and deleted files.

We implemented build 240 enabling AISBackup to backup if there were no changed or new files but there were new folders, deleted files or deleted folders.

This may give some users a problem; if for example, they have deliberately deleted files and folders that have been backed up. This would cause AISBackup to mark each file and folder as deleted if the backup was run again, in other words the last session could conceivably contain no files!

From build 241 we have revised the change so that AISBackup only backs up if there are new and changed files or new empty folders.

Does anybody have a view on this?

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

The build 241 option seems the most straightforward to me, but I don't know the full implications (are there any negative aspects to consider?).
Regards

Brian E
BartK

RE: AISBackup change - feedback required

Post by BartK »

Hello Barry,

For a change I do it this way.

I think that this behaviour depents on which type of backup it is. When it is a session backup the each level should function like a snapshot at a specific time for all files and folders. For generation backups should clean-up the last generation of a removed file/folder after a period (program option, default:none).

When too much logic is involved in the backup process, the more users will make errors and the integrity of the backup database will be degraded.

With regards,

Bart Kamminga
IanA

Post by IanA »

Since I raised the issue in the first place I guess I should reply to this.

The negative impact as I see it is that if I spend a lot of time pruning unwanted files and folders, I want to protect this effort (and it usually is an effort!) by backing up this new file structure.

What are your thoughts on providing a question in the backup job options - "Do not backup file structure when the ONLY changes are deleted files and folders" ?

Am I right in thinking that I could add any old text file to a folder in a backup and thereby force the backup to be run? Would this then record the deleted files and folder? I presume it would.

Ian A
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

You are correct in that if only one file is added or changed AISBackup will record the file deletions. How would it be if auto-run backups did not backup ‘only’ deletions but manually run backups ask? His would cover Brian’s problem and Ian’s problem at the expense of a question (and extra coding).

BTW: In the current beta (build 242) the permanently exclude files from preview form is not working.

Is the upgrade prompt working okay? Would a ‘display once’ pop-up be better or is the unobtrusive appearance of the ‘beta/upgrade available’ button okay?

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Generation Style backup

Post by Barry »

Question for Bart:

Do I understand this request properly given this example?

Retain 3 Generations.

Generation pruning: (Options none, or number of days)
Remove any third generation after 100 days.
Remove any second generation after 200 days.

Deleted File Pruning: (Options none or a number of days)
Remove any third generation deleted file after 100 days.
Remove any second generation deleted file after 200 days.
Remove any first generation deleted file after 300 days. (the file will no longer exist in the backup)

Barry
BartK

Re: Generation Style backup

Post by BartK »

Barry,

I am not that good in forums because I always forget to response ...

Your suggestions are good. I presume that you meant by third generation that all subsequent generations are included?

When you build in a lot of functionalities and fine tuning you must keep this level of programming transparant to simple end users. This keep the product accessable and a pleasure to work with. It's easy to create a new feature but it is much more difficult to implement the features in a natural (i.e. logic) way as if they were always there. Otherwise it becomes spachetti!

Using this product for almost four years it is still a pleasure to work with. And with all the free updates it must be a hobby to deliver this kind of service and support.

Thanks Barry,

Bart Kamminga
Barry
Site Admin

Generation Pruning

Post by Barry »

Build 246 has manual generation pruning via the menu Manage Backup / Prune Backup Generations option.

AISBackup displays a grid of files by generation (version) and age, a logical range of files is selected by clicking a cell, these files may then be removed from the backup. There is an option to only show files that have been deleted, i.e. there is no copy of the file on the PC.

Barry