Win2000 Full disaster recovery options?

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
mgreene

Win2000 Full disaster recovery options?

Post by mgreene »

I was curious of exactly the extent that I could use this for a full disaster recovery if needed.

I have backed up the registry.
I have copied the boot files to disk

I was wondering since this is for a Win2000 box, and we cann't backup the OS through the new script option that what extent can i perform a disaster recovery?

Thanks for you help and for a great product,
Mike
Barry
Site Admin

Disaster Recovery of Window 2000

Post by Barry »

The menu option Tools / Backup Registry is really just for quick backups of the Registry, normally you should ensure that the Registry is selected in the proper system drive backup.

The boot diskette is pretty useful if you corrupt (by formatting) the boot menu files on the C: drive, especially on dual or multi boot systems.

A web page is been set-up to demonstrate disaster recovery of Windows 2000 & XP. The first demonstration will use the following steps:
  • Install a new (or old) hard drive.

Using the Windows 2000 distribution CD Create 2 partitions 1 * 20GB 1 * 4GB both NTFS.

Install Windows 2000 to the second smaller hard drive.

Set-up access to the internet to download AISBackup (this step is only if you no longer have a copy of AISBackup set-up program).
    Install AISBackup.

Create a boot diskette using the Tools / Copy Boot Files to Bootable Diskette option (If there is a problem during the restore, such as a power cut, you may not be able to re-boot Windows 2000 if the restore is not complete).

With a backup of Windows XP on a USB drive use the Tools / Load Script from Backup option to install the backup. (This could have been Windows 2000).

Restore the XP backup to the C: drive using a dated session.

This restore will re-instate the Windows XP boot menu file that does not know about the new dual boot Windows 2000 system so use the Tools / Edit Windows Boot menu to add the Windows 2000 menu item.

Re-boot the system into Windows XP. The first time Windows XP is booted (or any Windows for that matter) there will be a longer than normal delay because Windows needs to re-setup the swap file, hibernation file, and other ‘system’ files that were deliberately excluded from the backup.
This is probably the quickest way to get Windows back without using the Microsoft Recovery console.

You could restore Window to a new disk using a second PC, if you do this do not boot Windows XP until it is back in its original PC or you may have to re-activate Windows with Microsoft.

Barry