strong encryption for ZIP-Files

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
Markus

strong encryption for ZIP-Files

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,
I have to store my backup-files in an rather unsafe location so I´m looking for a strong encryption for the ZIP-Files. As far as I see AISbackup is using the standard-ZIP-encryption which is rather weak and can be broken quite easily by a brute-force-attack or a known-plaintext-attack.

Would it be possible to use AES on the ZIP-Files as some other ZIP-programs do already?

Regards

Markus
Barry
Site Admin

AES Encryption

Post by Barry »

Hi Markus

There is an intention to use AES encryption with AISBackup, however AISBackup will probably move to a proprietary format (similar to zip) for the backup files so that the backup data is no longer made to fit the zip file specification.

What I have done for my own backups is format disks using Truecrypt as this offers fast AES encryption at device level rather within the backup itself. I also like the fact that the Truecrypt software is portable and is stored in a non-encrypted part of the same disk volume so that the backup can be taken to another computer that is not running Truecrypt.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Also look at Traveler Mode in the menu system for making encrypted USB Flsh drives etc.

Barry
Markus

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,

thanks for your reply. I´m looking forward for the new format an strong encryption.
I´m already using Truecrypt for some backup-partitions on external disks, but in this special case I can´t use a Truecrypt-Container because I need single files and the file-size is limited.

Markus
Barry
Site Admin

Package and encrypt

Post by Barry »

Hi Markus

If you want to encrypt a backup to send to someone else you could use the Manage Backup / Package and Encrypt option, this uses AES-128 bit or AES-256 bit encryption. This will copy (not move) the whole backup in one .aes file.

Barry
Last edited by Barry on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markus

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,

this would be good if the Backup-Files could be encrypted one by one. The actual Backup-Size is around 12 GB, so the function complains about the size.

Markus
gavind

Post by gavind »

I still can't figure this out. is there a way to encrypt the back up files individually?
110%, all the time. Image