Estimated size of backup reported a bit late?

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
IanA

Estimated size of backup reported a bit late?

Post by IanA »

When I'm running short of Disk/DVD space it's really useful to be told the estimated size of backup (after compression). But it only seems to be shown after the backup has started - which for me is a bit too late. It seems to occur instantly, so presume it would be fairly easy to show it at the preview stage.

I needed it today, when I found that the estimated size of a backup was greater than the available space on the drive and had to abort the backup - It works, but it just seems a bit clumsy!

ALSO: I know the estimates are ONLY ESTIMATES, but they're usually fairly accurate - or are they? - I reset my main backup and restarted it:
It correctly reported 19GB to be backed up (2 drives).
Estimated size of backup (after compression) 29GB :!:
The actual size of the backup was 14.8GB.

The next backup (smaller) reported estimates that were much more accurate. :)

Just one of those computer glitches!

Cheers

Ian
IanA

Post by IanA »

Just a thought:

The incorrect estimate was precisely 29.63GB, which if divided by 2 would be almost precisely the final size of the backup... and I was backing up 2 drives...

It's got to be too obvious :lol:
Barry
Site Admin

Estimated size of backup

Post by Barry »

I will look into the estimate to see why it is reporting too much??!

A good place to show the estimated size would be on the 'reason for backup' form but this is shown before the backup calculation (for those like me who like to start a backup and leave, rather than wait for the calculation). A solution would be to offer where to show the reason for backup as an option.

or....

If the estimated size can be fixed (it will never be 100% accurate) a warning could be shown just before the actual backup phase starts. This can only work with local disk based backups because network drives often report an incorrect (and low) value for remaining disk space.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup Pre-Release 2.5

Post by Barry »

Pre Release 2.5 shows the estimate of backup size.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackupbeta.php

Barry