Remote Control

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
mhenning

Remote Control

Post by mhenning »

I would actually pay extra for this. I would really like a remote manager that would allow me to control remote installations of AIS Backup that are installed on several machines within my domain.
Barry
Site Admin

Remote control AISBackup

Post by Barry »

Do you want full control of the remote backups, including restore, or just the ability to view logs and change what is to be backed up? Basically, looking at information could be done via network shares or a simple client service arrangement but taking control of AISBackup on a remote PC requires something a lot more sophisticated using Windows Services etc. Another possible option is to use something like www.tightvnc.com

Barry
mhenning

Remote Control

Post by mhenning »

Well, Ideally I would like to be able to create new backup jobs, modify existing remote backup jobs, and possibly restore from backups from one box. I currently use a VNC solution, but it is painfully slow for some of the remote offices that are connected using VPN. Possibly a web interface would be a solution? I understand that might be a tall order, but such functionality would be a wonderful blessing for folks trying to manage several remote offices. I am certainly nit-picking here because overall this is an excellent product that has solved many of our disaster recovery issues.
Barry
Site Admin

Pre release 2.5

Post by Barry »

Pre Release 2.5 has a new administrative files path to enable the viewing of backup logs from remote PC's. This is done using an administrator utility. At the moment the only interactive part which is working locally is the ability to get the remote copies of AISBackup to upgrade themselves.

To this interface some client server modules could be added to allow backup jobs to be changed using a service on the networked PC's, but this is some way off.

If you would like the ability to view run time logs from the networked PC please let me know and I will provide a link to the 'work in hand' AISBackup administrator utility.

To set-up logging with version 2.5 use the option Tools / Program Settings and Options / File Locations / Network management Path and set this to a share that each PC has write access to, the one here is set to \\PENGUIN\AISBkAdmin\

This will start collecting the logs for the Admin utility.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackupbeta.php

Barry
gavind

Post by gavind »

Hi mhenning
Tools / Program Settings and Options / File Locations / Network management Path and set this to a share that each PC has write access to, the one here is set to \\PENGUIN\AISBkAdmin\
Did that work for you by any chance?
110%, all the time. Image