Feature request

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
cyclone

Feature request

Post by cyclone »

Hi,

A feature I've long wanted which I think would be universally appreciated is a way to preview files which will be backed up sorted by size. Whenever I do a backup I invariably have a few large files (videos or whatever) which I wouldn't have chosen to backup, but often miss if I go through directory-by-directory on the preview. If I could see a list of files to be backed up sorted by size I could very easily assess whether I want to exclude the biggest.

An additional enhancement to this would be to see directories to be backed up sorted by size as well. This would help to catch newly installed software which I might not want to back up (i.e. clipart collections I can always restore from original media) and such.

Thanks!

Bill
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

This is not too easy because of the tree nature of the preview files form. However, the folders will display the size of all sub-folders and files from the next (beta/pre) release of AISBackup, which should help. We may even add a ‘Permanently exclude this Folder / File’ option to the preview files form, would this be useful?

Barry
cyclone

Post by cyclone »

I think this would be sufficient, as I'm really just trying to see if there are any big files which I don't want to back up. Seeing the size of each folder (assuming it provides the total of all subfolders) would be fine, since it would be quick to drill down on any big ones.

Excluding from this screen would be a great timesaver, too.
Barry
Site Admin

Exclusions from preview form

Post by Barry »

The folder size will show the total of contents.

The following question is added after clicking OK:

Permanently exclude the selected files from the backup job?

Barry