IE 6

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
rlferg1

IE 6

Post by rlferg1 »

I'm pretty much a tool user rather than a savant. I don't know what files/folders do I need to include to backup IE 6 so that I can restore and continue without missing anything? Thanks.
rlferg1
Barry
Site Admin

Backing up IE6

Post by Barry »

Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) is pretty much an integrated part of the Microsoft Windows Operating system, so therefore the easiest way to backup IE6 is to backup the Windows Operating System. As regards to the rest of the programs and data on your PC: If you only really use your PC for IE6 then there is possibly not much else to backup so I would recommend self confessed non-savants to backup the complete PC, on most PC’s this will be the ‘C: drive.

Barry
rlferg1

Post by rlferg1 »

Barry,
My hard disk is toast. This is being sent from my wife's computer via webmail. I tried to restore with the files on drive D using the command <D:\restore D C: and got the response <invalid command>. Actually what I want to do is preserve the email files and favorites, but backing up to the hard disk is ok.

THe disk is not physically gonzo. Rather it is "corrupted". I suspect that some of the files that are not overwritten by a reinstall of 98SE are bad. I am going to get a new disk drive though and will restore to that one, if I can figure out how to do so.

If you have any suggestions please let me know. Within three months I plan to replace the MB and put two SATA drives in, probably not in a RAID configuration as backup and restore is a better alternative than two corrupted disk drives.
Rich Fergson
Barry
Site Admin

ESB

Post by Barry »

It is possible that the backup is not on drive D: as the DOS boot diskette moves some files to a RAM disk, which used drive D:. the CD ROM drives are actually listed just after the PC is booted, and if you are using an AISBackup updated boot diskette to restore from a backup on CD examples of the command line are given.

If you need to ‘look for’ the Restore command and backup you should go through each drive in turn as follows:

C:
DIR
D:
DIR
E:
DIR

Go through each drive in turn until either you find the Restore command or a ‘no drive’ error is reported. If the backup was to hard drive then the restore command may be under a sub-directory, for example, if the directory was called BACKUP then the DIR command may show BACKUP <DIR>, in which case type:

CD BACKUP
DIR

You should then see the RESTORE.BAT file along with all the associated .ZIP files.

Barry
rlferg1

Post by rlferg1 »

Thanks, Barry. No joy however. <RESTORE.BAT> is located at D:\ESB\ . However, when I type in the command D:\ restore D: C: as indicated in the directions, I get a <bad command or file name> error. What do I do?
Rich Ferguson
Barry
Site Admin

Restore command

Post by Barry »

Hi

The restore command is

D:\RESTORE D: C

i.e. there is no : after the C

Barry
rlferg1

Post by rlferg1 »

Ah so. many thanks. I'm booting from the D drive after installing 98SE on it. I will try the restore from both the rescue disk (first) and the DOS prompt from windows if that doesn't do it. I had to install windows to find the restore.bat file as the dir command gives a blur of files going down the screen. I'm just very thankful that I 1) have the AIS backup program and 2) you are so responsive with your assistance of us old folks. One more reason that we think so positively of the UK (no I'm not thinking about anything political!!!).
Rich Ferguson, San Diego, CA