Multi-threading Feature Request

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
stevem

Multi-threading Feature Request

Post by stevem »

Great software! I have a request or two for features.

I believe it would be great if multiple backups could run concurrently if they are backing up to different folders. I do backups to different folders and the way AISBackup works is to stack the backups to run one after the other. I'm backing up about 200 GB of data on Friday (full backups) and then incrementals during the week. The Friday backups take about 24-hours to complete. I would think multi-threading the backups to run concurrently would reduce this time.

Also, if a backups is running and the scheduler kicks off AISBackup for another backup it spits out a window saying AISBackup is already running and the following jobs are not going to run xxxx. It would be nice to append the new jobs to be run after the currently running job is completed. This way backups that run long don't kill regularly scheduled backups.

Steve
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup scheduled jobs

Post by Barry »

Unless the whole 200GB of data is changed during the week there is no need to run full backups each week, indeed AISBackup logically always makes full backups even though it only backups up files that are new or have been modified. We are introducing an enhanced session handling scheme from version 2.0, this is in beta now. The new session handling will enable a different number of daily, weekly and monthly backups to be retained. From any retained session you may make a full system restore if required. Version 2 will also enable the same backup to be made to up to 3 different FireWire / USB connected drives, if the drives are swapped the next backup is based on the content of the drive rather than the last backup. This makes on-site / off-site backup management very easy. We have also enabled remotely connected USB / FireWire drives to simplify the backup of network connected PC’s to the same USB / FireWire drives (using network shares).

To enable AISBackup to run concurrent jobs would mean a significant amount of re-designing. To queue further job requests is a good idea and should be simple to implement. Quite often we leave the interactive version of AISBackup running overnight, which means our scheduled jobs are often skipped., so we will also enable AISBackup to run scheduled tasks if it has been left running interactively and is idle, i.e. not backing up.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Queuing scheduled jobs

Post by Barry »

AISBackup 2.0 beta has been uploaded, this contains the update to queue auto run jobs that are executed when AISBackup is already running.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.htm

Barry