In the distant future, when AISBackup no longer ex

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
jac

In the distant future, when AISBackup no longer exists...

Post by jac »

...and the Sun dies, etc.

Hi All,
I'm evaluating AISBackup & really just have one question left.

Suppose I need to restore some data years from now from a generation-based backup in the absence of the AISBackup application (but there still is something that understands the zip format). If the files are unzipped in numerical order into the same directory, overwriting as necessary, will that restore the latest state of the data, or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks,
-Jim C.
Barry
Site Admin

Restore directly from zip files

Post by Barry »

The method of restore would work for data files, but not the operating system as some parts of the operating system cannot be replaced directly from zip files. Although you could restore everything to a new drive. I assume that we are not running Windows anymore, so this will not be an issue.

If existing PC’s can be networked with any new technology you could use a PC with a copy of AISBackup to restore over the network, which is probably a better solution. AISBackup can backup and restore data from Linux, MAC etc as long as they look like a regular disk to Windows.

Barry