ms exchange

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
jp

ms exchange

Post by jp »

this software looks awesome. I am still in the trial period but I will for sure be a buyer soon.

I found this soft great for small businesses as backup solutions are often very expensive, and cheap ones lack a lot of features or functionality.

One thing that would make it even better for small businesses would be the possibility of backuping MSExchange. I assume this is a very difficult function to implement and would be ready to pay an extra charge if it would be like an "add on" if it was still reasonable.

A sql backup add on would be good as well
Barry
Site Admin

MS Exchange & SQL Server

Post by Barry »

Hi

AISBackup version 1.9 is able to backup MS Exchange, but only in offline mode. If the Exchange folders are selected then AISBackup stops the exchange services, runs the backup and then restarts the services. The services are only stopped during the actual exchange backup and not the whole backup.

It is appreciated that this method of backing up Exchange is not desirable on systems where the service must run 24/7

We did not implement stopping SQL Server, bit this could be added as an option. There are two options here:

Manually stop SQL Server then run the backup, then restart SQL Server.
Schedule a backup from within SQL Server then use AISBackup to backup this backup rather than the live files.

Barry
jp

Post by jp »

thanks for the quick answer !

I would actually be interested in a way of backing up exchange while still running.

I am still interested by the feature you re talking about though. But I have a question : does just backing up and restoring these exchange files in a copy paste way work ?
In the MSntbackup tool, there is a separate check box for MS exchange, as it would be a different method than just backuping the data files...

I can unfortunately not test a backup restore of exchange.

I figured out the sql backup the same way. it s no big deal as my database is very small and can be down for a minute.