FTP feature

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
crispin_hodges

FTP feature

Post by crispin_hodges »

I have purchased several copies for customers to have on their machines to automate backup.

The ftp feature is a great idea but to my mind needs to be a bit more robust. With the best will in the world sometimes the remote ftp server will be offline or the network down. When this happens the users get a message and an easy option to enter check settings menu. They then click on things and ensure it never works again!

I would like the software to retry after a delay and there be options of what to do after a failure. Perhaps an email to the administrator could be one although I agree in the case of total network failure this would achieve little. However in the environments I am referring to no web/email would bring a rapid call for support where as no backup causes little interest. Indeed the user I have just returned from must have had your error message on her screen every afternoon for weeks!
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Backup: Options / Problems

Post by Barry »

A problem has been identified with the pre-release build 201 and 202 with FTP, so we have the opportunity to make some small amendments to the way AISBackup behaves in the event of a failure.

If you can think of any specific action that you would like taken please let us know.

I think it is normally appropriate to ask the User if the settings should be checked if AISBackup is run via the main interface. However, if AISBackup is run via an Auto Run shortcut (or via a task scheduler) the failure notice should be posted via e-mail or whatever.

If you are using pre-release 1.9 build 201 or 202 please download build 200 for FTP jobs:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/build200/aisbi200.exe

We expect the ftp problems to be fixed by 15 March 2004, this will also give us time to consider any more ftp related change requests.

Barry
crispin_hodges

Post by crispin_hodges »

Barry here are my specific requests

1 I would like to dispense with the delay between the disk verify and the start of ftp
2 If ftp connection fails 'try again x times' (value in minutes) feature
3 Value 'in mins' of delay between retries
4 Action if all attempts fail options a) Message to user, b) failure email, c) no action
5 Perhaps a only notify user after X failures (different nights)

I suspect in the longer term it would be nice to offer secure ftp

Keep up the good work.

Crispin
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Barry -- I think Crispin's suggestions make a lot of sense.

One suggestion to add to Crispin's list:

6. Sometimes there's a hiccup when AISBackup is uploading the zip files to the ftp server so that some of the files don't get uploaded although all the others do. If this happens the user is asked at the end of the backup whether to get AISBackup to try them again. Could you add an option that allows the user to select: 'automatically retry uploading individual zip files' with sub-choices specifying how many times to re-try and the spacing between the re-tries in minutes? Then if the automatic re-tries all fail, the user can be asked for the required action.

Cheers
Hugh
fg0368

Admin password

Post by fg0368 »

Just a request by the wat.

As I plan to use it for a company with more than 50 users, I would have appreciate that some settings could be "admin" protected.

I mean :

Each "normal" user has got his own backup configuration (local CD, FTP, Lan), with its own password for distant backup etc...

Once the config hd been down by the admin, a end user should be allowed to :

add files,
1.) may be create new jobs from an existing pre-formatted job list with minimal choices (no new password choice, prune choice, zip choice, etc...)
2.) restore from backup,

but it could be nice to password protect the other settings in order that the config (ftp, password, etc...) could not be messed up by end users (change location, password, etc...).

I discovered AISBackup 3 days ago, took me a bit of time to get used to the GUI, but I think now I'm addicted.

;=))
Barry
Site Admin

FTP update

Post by Barry »

The AISBackup from build 203 includes the following updates:

FTP Server connect re-try specified on each backup job. The interval between re-tries (in seconds) may also be set. The default values are 1 retry after 60 seconds (with manual override).

The Check FTP Settings option has been removed.

AISBackup zip files that fail to upload to an FTP server are automatically re-tried after 15 seconds (with manual override).

The following options are available via the auto-run options:

E-mail messages are set via Tools / Auto Running AISBackup / E-Mail settings.

Create a desktop shortcut to run an AISBackup job which is designed to run without human intervention.

The delay (waiting for a User to enter a backup comment prior to uploading to FTP) is not there when running via a desktop shortcut.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Passive mode

Post by Barry »

It will be possible to set FTP Passive mode from build 204 of AISBackup.

Select Job / Manage Backup / Edit Backup Job Parameters / FTP Settings

Barry.