backup pager notification

Do you want a new option in AISBackup? Do you want an existing option enhanced? Ask here.
yester18

backup pager notification

Post by yester18 »

Hello was wondering if any thought was put into using a alpha pager to be paged once a backup is completed, i would liek to use a feature like this, and that way i knwo if there were any errors or even a backup at all. what the system i was thinking of and others use is it sends a email to my pager's email adress sending the message like ex: error on backup. or backup completed no errors. since pager are mostly sent via phone or modem it would be easier over a lan by sending a email.

John Yester
John
Barry
Site Admin

Pager notification

Post by Barry »

We have no plans to put in a pager interface. As you probably know we do have an e-mail after backup option.

We have built in a facility to enable users to run their own job after a backup, this could be used to send a message via TAPI if you can arrange for this to be programmed. There are special log files produced that describe what happened during the backup. See Help / Help Contents / Technical Information / Developer Information.

Barry
yester18

i will give that a try

Post by yester18 »

barry i will give it a try since the pager can receive emails, i will let you know, how it oges, also my company will be buying your product soon. since our 30 days will be up soon and we really like the program.

John
John
yester18

Post by yester18 »

Barry also i know a little about programming but not much can i use this to run outlook to send me the message saying backup okay? i didn't really see where it says it sends a message to the user saying the backup was complete in the script that was in the help topic.
John
yester18

Post by yester18 »

i have tried my pager email address and also my work email address, and neither have works i get a returned mail error that it was not sent. all i really want is to have a message sent to me telling yes it worked or no it didn't. also i am running outlook so everytime AIS backup goes to run it says that a program is trying to send a email wouold you liek to accept i have to say yes, that m,eans i have to be here to let it send me a message which at that point letting me knwo via pager or email is no use anyway. Any help on this i would appricate it, i still love the program. John
John
Barry
Site Admin

Sending e-mail

Post by Barry »

Yes, this is a problem. Unfortunately Microsoft introduced this feature to prevent virus programs using Outlook to send e-mails to everybody in the mail list. There is a program called click yes that may provide a solution. http://www.express-soft.com/mailmate/clickyes.html

We will look at adding an SMTP mail interface for sending mail directly from AISBackup rather than via MAPI.

Barry
yester18

does not work

Post by yester18 »

Barry hello again, numerous times i have tried to send a email to myself and including my pager(email address) now my department is thru outlook exchange and it sends the email by using outlook. Now i talked to our IT support manager and he says that it should be working, must be the software. if this feature fully working.? after i send a test page to my pager or a test email i imediatly get a return mail in outlook with any email adress i try that i have even my person email won't work. i am very happy with the results so far of the product and would really liek to get this feature running also. talk to you soon. John
John
Barry
Site Admin

Outlook e-mail

Post by Barry »

There is a problem with programmatically sending e-mails since MS Outlook 2000 Service Pack 2. Microsoft’s solution to preventing viruses using Outlook was to prompt the user for confirmation of each e-mail sent.

An SMTP interface has been added to the beta version of AISBackup which will be uploaded soon. Basically you just copy your e-mail SMTP settings to the new Tools / Auto Running AISBackup / Advanced Settings tab.

The beta version of AISBackup comes with a new look. Backup scripts are now called Backup Jobs, the Select files for Backup form has been re-designed. A backup to FTP server option has been added and a new Quick Job option has been added to create backup jobs with just 5 click of the mouse and no typing.

I’ll post another message when the beta version has been uploaded.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

SMTP e-mail

Post by Barry »

The beta version featuring the SMTP e-mail inteface has been uploaded to http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

Barry
yester18

v 1.8

Post by yester18 »

Barry i just downloaded the newer version of AIS i will let you know how well it works.
John
yester18

works great but.....

Post by yester18 »

Barry this new prog. works great, pager works great fine, question can i have each page be named for each backup, that is if i have a folder called development that get backedup, well it is it's own script. can that page me for that backup and called backup completed on development? and so on for the other script that i have, now i have it saying backup complete but i don't knwo which one it is.
John
Barry
Site Admin

Identifying backup jobs via e-mail

Post by Barry »

The latest beta version now names each backup job and optionally adds statistics to the e-mail. Please see Tools / Auto Running AISBackup / e-mail settings.

Barry
yester18

what next

Post by yester18 »

okay i went into there already and have the email settings set up to send me a page when the backup is completed. but i want to knwo when each specified one is done, ex. documnets complete backup. and then the next one will say Java server backup complete and so on with the others. right now all it sends me is a message the same for all of them saying backup completed ro failed when failed. sorry i'm a bit lost on this :(

John
John
Barry
Site Admin

e-mail enhancement

Post by Barry »

The updated e-mail option was only uploaded an hour ago, in version 1.8 (177). This names the backup job along with the status. The e-mail will say somthing like:

documnets: (your message) Completed OK 127

Java server: (your message) Completed OK 47 Failed to backup 1

Barry