doing backup from server to other pc

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
yester18

doing backup from server to other pc

Post by yester18 »

hello i was wondering i want to once a week push data over our network to another pc, which then the data will be backuped up on dvd burner we have, i was wondering this and if it would work that way, right now we manually copy the files over and it takes time. would work easier if it runs at like let's say 3am during down time. if this is possible then i would look into this for my company we are currently backing up almost 4 gig of data every week from our servers(total). thank you
John
Barry
Site Admin

Server backup

Post by Barry »

You may backup your system this way, here is how to do it:

Backup from each server to the backup PC.

On the backup PC use the Tools / Load Script From Backup option to install the backup on the destination PC.

Use the Copy to CD option to copy the backup to DVD.

This process does not work too well if the destination DVD can only be accessed using a packet writing system (for example DVD+RW).

We will look into providing a better solution for this backup scenario.

If you are using a packet writing system you could write directly to DVD over the network, the down side is AISBackup will see it as a fixed drive and not exchangeable media. Once the DVD is full AISBackup will fail. If you are backing up less than 4GB per evening you could manage this by using empty DVD’s.

I think a better solution is to use a USB2 or FireWire connected hard drive.

You’re welcome to give us a few suggestions for solving this problem.

Barry
yester18

Backup's again

Post by yester18 »

I have it as of now all the folders on my cmputer that will back up the srver's folder basically they look the same file structre, then i have each folder has it's own script that i have scheduled to run at night. after ones doen it wait then the next one hopefully will start up,but will aisbackup close after backup is completed, so the next one will run? just wondering on that since i have liek 6 scripts that will run at all diffrent times at night.

John
John
Barry
Site Admin

Running multiple backup jobs

Post by Barry »

The best way to run multiple backup jobs (scripts) is to put them one after the other by using the Tools / Auto Running AISBackup option. Backup jobs can run simultaneously from different clients to the 'backup pc' although it is probably better to make each backup destination a different folder.

Barry