Update failure

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Hughg

Update failure

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry

Something weird just happened when I allowed AISBackup to upgrade to 5.4.0.494. It went through a number of steps, and then the main window appeared minus the backup jobs. I exited from the program and tried to re-launch, but it had disappeared from the Start menu, nor could I see it in Programs and Features. I downloaded the latest version and installed it, and everything was back to normal, including the backup jobs, which run normally.

Hugh
Barry
Site Admin

Re: Update failure

Post by Barry »

Hi Hugh

I have run several ‘Update’ tests using Windows 10 and have found the following:

64-bit Windows AISBackup running as administrator: The update works
64-bit Windows AISBackup not running as administrator (UAC mode): The update works
32-bit Windows AISBackup running as administrator: The update works
32-bit Windows AISBackup not running as administrator (UAC mode): The update fails

This problem is within AISBackup itself, so the next release of AISBackup when running AISBackup in UAC mode on 32-bit Windows will also fail.

The solution is to right click AISBackup and choose ‘Run as administrator’ prior to clicking ‘Update’.

Unfortunately if the update was run in UAC mode then AISBackup will have been deleted from the PC, in this case the set-up program should be downloaded from the web-site.

https://aiscl.co.uk/downloadaisbackup.php

Barry
Hughg

Re: Update failure

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry

In my case I was running in 64-bit Windows, not as administrator, so I guess there must be something different about my configuration. Next time I see a request to update, I'll restart as administrator and see how it goes. As you say, it's no big deal to reinstall if that fails.

Hugh