Rebuild backup contents

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
graham.mandeno

Rebuild backup contents

Post by graham.mandeno »

Hi Barry (or anyone else who can help :-) )

Is it possible to rebuild a backup contents file (bdb) which has become corrupted? I am trying to restore some files from an old backup and it says:
I:\Backup\Helios.bdb: is not a Backup Contents File

Sure enough, if I inspect the bdb file in question, it is completely empty - zero bytes! However, all the zip files and the other AISBackup control files are in the folder and appear to be OK.

Many thanks,
Graham
graham.mandeno

Re: Rebuild backup contents

Post by graham.mandeno »

I think I might have figured it out. I had found the "Repair Contents File" function in "Manage Backup", but it wasn't obvious that I needed to select one (and only one) of the zip files in order to proceed. It seems to be working now (although generating a lot of errors - fingers crossed!)
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

As you found out the option is Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup / then click Repair Contents File. AISBackup does place a copy of the latest .bdb file in the backup destination and also creates a file called <Backup name>.previous.aibrecover, the .aibrecover file is actually a zip file and to access the contents rename the file and put .zip on the end. The aibrecover file is made before the next backup to preserve the contents of the backup immediately prior to the backup. You may also have other backups that backup the contents file, usually in the folder C:\ProgramData\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database.

Barry
graham.mandeno

Post by graham.mandeno »

Hi Barry

Sorry for the tardy response - I got busy with other stuff.

Unfortunately the Repair Contents File option did not create a valid contents file - I was not very hopeful, given the number of errors it was generating.
However, restoring the .bdb from the .previous.aibrecover file worked a treat - THANK YOU!!!

Cheers,
Graham