AISBackup not backing up OneDrive files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Hughg

AISBackup not backing up OneDrive files

Post by Hughg »

I'm getting a serious backup failure with OneDrive. Recently I started getting the error message: "Failed to initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive D:\ [VSS_E_SNAPSHOT_SET_IN_PROGRESS]". This seems to have started on Feb 12 on one backup (to a locally-attached USB drive) and on January 29 on another backup (to a network-attached Drobo), and it only refers to two files, one of which is on OneDrive. But when I looked closer, I discovered that the OneDrive folders on my local drive that I checked (and I've checked quite a few now) stopped getting backed up some time late last year. I can't be sure exactly when, but clearly something serious has happened to the way that AISBackup deals with OneDrive. Other local files, and DropBox files on the local drive, seem to be getting backed up correctly, so as far as I can tell the problem seems to be limited to OneDrive. The "Select Files For Backup" hasn't changed: all OneDrive folders are selected on it.

=====================

I've been doing some research since posting the above, and it turns out that the problem appears to have been introduced in the Fall Creators Update (1709) of Windows 10. Other backup software is hitting the same problem, namely that they can't back up the OneDrive files on a local drive. CrashPlan has solved the problem: theirs does back it up, so there must be a solution.
Barry
Site Admin

OneDrive backup problem

Post by Barry »

Nothing has changed in the way that AISBackup backs up OneDrive folders, I still have a backup to OneDrive that was set-up when it was called SkyDrive and that is running right now, and will take a few hours. I will look into this for you. I am not surprised when a Windows update breaks existing programs.

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Thanks, Barry. Yes, my OneDrive also dates back to SkyDrive. Someone in the discussion that I've been monitoring says that they've fixed the OneDrive problem, but I still hit it (I've tried three different backup apps and they all react in the same way; either they can't see all of the files for backing up, or they try to back up and get a "file locked" error, or both). In the meantime I'm going to reset my OneDrive folder (unlink it and recreate it), to see if that helps. I'm using build 16299.248 of Win 10, and build 18.025.0204.0007 of OneDrive.
Barry
Site Admin

Onedrive

Post by Barry »

Hi Hugh

Does this apply?
Microsoft also removed ReFS support for OneDrive in July 2017.

"The OneDrive can't be created in the location you selected...you need to format it with NTFS
Cheers

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry

Don't think so. The drive in question is formatted as NTFS (I just checked). OneDrive seems to be working just fine where it is (syncing works well, and Office 365 sees files on it with no problem), apart from this backup problem. But I'll maybe know more when I've done the linking-and-recreating thing (I can't right now).

Cheers
Hugh
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry

I recreated the OneDrive folder, and I'm running backups manually (the problems I was having was with timed backups). The first time I ran a backup all I got was the files in the root of the OneDrive folder. I forced the download of one of the subfolders, but that didn't make a difference. I turned off Files On-Demand, and that seems to have cleared the problem: once the files had all downloaded from the cloud, all of them (as far as I can tell) backed up successfully (both manually and autorun), and there hasn't been a return of the VSS error.

Thanks for your help. It looks like the problem was a combination of changes introduced by the Fall Creators Update (1709) and a very old OneDrive folder.

Cheers
Hugh