FTP Retrieve Errors

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
ais@rkelly.me.uk

FTP Retrieve Errors

Post by ais@rkelly.me.uk »

AISBackup 4.2.419
Have had to switch one backup to FTP due to port blocking imposed by my company. Am backing up to a Zyxel NSA325v2, which has pureftp as the service. It hangs regularly during the backup - specifically when retrieving files, so I have switched the FTP server to proftpd. With this service a backup completes no problems, but any retrieval (for example retrieving the job file) stalls.
Turning on FTP debug shows a RETR request sent and two 150 responses in the same packet from pureftp:
150-Accepted data connection
150 5077.7 kbytes to download

From proftpd I get a singe 150:
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for......

However in either case the retrieval never starts. I am fairly sure the problem is not with the FTP server (now) as a simple GET of the same file from the windows ftp client works no problem.

I guess the question is, does AISBackup look for something very specific prior to initiating the retrieval of data?
Barry
Site Admin

FTP retrieve problem

Post by Barry »

Have you tried with / without 'passive mode'?

Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / FTP Settings

It may also be worth checking that the latest firmware is installed on the Zyxel. I have been using an older Zyxel (NSA320) for several years for a few daily backups without problem.

Barry
ais@rkelly.me.uk

Tried both PASV and standard mode with no difference...
Barry
Site Admin

FTP retrieve problem

Post by Barry »

Have you got SSL encryption enabled? if so try without as a test.

Is this backup over a WAN or LAN?

Barry
ais@rkelly.me.uk

SSL not enabled. Backup over LAN. I can send packet traces if it helps...
Barry
Site Admin

FTP retrieve problem

Post by Barry »

There is of course a possibility that there is a problem in AISBackup despite the FTP interface has been used regularly by several of our customers for many years. The log file may be useful so please send a copy to customerservices@aiscl.co.uk

As you mentioned port blocking, it may be useful to check that ports 20 and 21 are both open for TCP/IP connections on your private network (assuming the PC in question belongs to the private network). Maybe you could temporarily disable your firewall and re-test?

Barry
ais@rkelly.me.uk

Managed to borrow another laptop and install AISBackup on it, and that works just fine. It looks like you are entirely correct and it is a firewall issue - I can't work out what though, so will have to take it up with IT next time I am over there. Thanks.

Interesting discussion here: http://www.ncftp.com/ncftpd/doc/misc/ft ... walls.html

includes the comment: If you can login to an FTP server, but your directory listings and data transfers time-out you most likely have a firewall in the way. - whuich is exactly my problem.