Effect of virus scanners on backed-up zip files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Hughg

Effect of virus scanners on backed-up zip files

Post by Hughg »

If viruses are in files that are backed up, e.g. during an Emergency System Backup, and then they're removed from the backup files during an anti-virus scan, does this affect a subsequent restore process? I ask because the increasing plague of spam means that the probability is going up that virus-containing attachments will be sitting in directories backed up during a routine operation, and that an antivirus scan will detect them in the .zip files created by AISBackup and remove them.
Barry
Site Admin

Anti Viris and AISBackup

Post by Barry »

Hi Hugh

In my experience anti virus software quarantines or removes the whole zip file containing a virus, not just the individual file. It is probably best to keep a real time virus scan of all incoming e-mails to try and reduce the risk of viruses.

If the backup is an on-going backup there is a good chance that the virus only infects latter backup sessions, these can be removed from the backup using the Manage Backup / Undo Backups option.

If a virus scanner does quarantine or remove zip files from a backup run the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option ASAP so that AISBackup can re-backup files that still exist and have been removed from the backup by the virus checker.

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Thanks, Barry -- I'll do as you suggest. I quite agree that scanning incoming e-mail is the solution; unfortunately, the corporate version of Norton Antivirus doesn't seem to set up a proxy POP server in the way that the consumer version does, and it's only configured for Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes. So I can't use it to scan incoming mail to the POP proxy server that my spam filter sets up. I'm sure there's a solution; I just haven't hit it yet.

Hugh