Preparation for Windows 8.1

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Nicolas Forwood

Preparation for Windows 8.1

Post by Nicolas Forwood »

Good day

I’m making preparations to install Windows 8.1 on my desktop and last night I made a successful complete C:\ backup with AISBackup to my external USB HD and was able to boot from it. The C:\ is a SATA 240 GB HD and includes XP Home plus various other utilities. I also have two other HD on this desktop and both are IDE, D:\ 80GB and E:\ 40GB

I would like to install the Windows 8.1 on the SATA C:\ so I wonder if it’s possible to do a restore from my external USB HD to D:\. I know that I can select on the restore a different location like D:\ but I don’t know if AISRestore will also change all XP references from C:\ to D:\.

Perhaps it is better to do a new backup from C:\ directly to D:\ but then again would the Restore change all XP references from C:\ to D:\ ? Is this a better option?

Or you may have a better way.

I want to keep my XP Home, service pack3 intact because if I don’t like Windows 8.1 then I can use my XP

Thanks
Barry
Site Admin

Restoring Windows XP to make a dual boot PC

Post by Barry »

n Windows since 95, 98 and ME drive letters are logical and not fixed as they used to be. If you restore Windows XP to the D: drive and view the drive from Windows 8.1 it will be seen as the ‘D:’ drive. However it you then set-up a dual boot system to boot into Windows XP the Windows XP partition will be the C: drive and the Windows 8.1 drive will be some other drive letter (probably it then will be the D: drive).

Barry
Nicolas Forwood

Post by Nicolas Forwood »

Thank you Barry for the help

Cheers