Trouble installing new version

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
dolph

Trouble installing new version

Post by dolph »

I downloaded and installed the latest version yesterday. When I tried to open the program, I was instructed to register it - but I am a registered owner. Also, when I tried to send this as a bug, the program locked up my computer when I hit "send"j

Thank you. :(
Barry
Site Admin

Installation problems

Post by Barry »

Hi Dolph

This problem may be related to the folder that AISBackup was installed to. I have set-up a web page that explains the installation process, including how to make sure that AISBackup remains registered when installed to a new folder:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/installing_aisbackup.htm

The bug option is probably owing to the fact that your e-mail program is not MAPI compliant, there is nothing wrong with that, it’s just that AISBackup will not be able to post the message. What concerns me is that AISBackup hanged, I am not sure why this happened but it is possible that a modal Window is displaying behind AISBackup, pressing Alt & Tab a couple of times on the keyboard may fix this.

The bug report Copy to Clipboard button was added to enable bug reports to be manually pasted into e-mail systems that do not work with AISBackup. Click Copy to Clipboard, go to your e-mail system, click the e-mail text body then press CTRL & V on the keyboard.

Please try sending us another bug report to see if this works okay.

Barry
dolph

Installing new version

Post by dolph »

I followed your instructions and installed the program into a new folder - it worked like a charm. But, I now have both folders, the old and the new. I tried to delete the old folder but the new one stopped working. I had to resarote the old one. Is there any part of the old folder I can delete so as to minimze the disk space used?

Also, initially I tried to install the new program in the old folder but that was where I ran inot the trouble I described. Is there no way to install the new program in the old folder? That, too, would save a lot of space.

Thank you. I haven't yet tried to see if managing the bug report would work as you suggested.
dolph

Bug reporting

Post by dolph »

I tried the bug report again; same result. I did try what you suggested - Alt-Tab several times without results. And I had to rebout to get the coputer operating again.

But the program is working fine. You have a jewel of a program here.
Barry
Site Admin

Bug Report & Installing New Version

Post by Barry »

Hi Dolph

I have set up Pegasus mail on Windows 98 but I cannot get AISBackup to hang.

I have discovered a bug in the bug report option (for users without a MAPI compliant e-mail system). The copy to clipboard function does not work because it requires the text in the memo to be selected, this should have been done programmatically. To send a bug report you can use your mouse to select the text then right click and choose the menu option Copy. You can then go to your e-mail system and paste the bug report into the e-mail body.

Removing old copied of AISBackup.

I guess the new version of AISBackup did not work after removing the old version because of the following reasons:
  • The work folders were no longer in the expected place, see Tools / Program Options / File Locations.

The data files were deleted (Scripts, logs, Backup Contents Files), these can be manually copied to the new folder prior to removing the old folder, i.e. copy the contents of C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackupOLD\Data\ to C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackupNEW\Data\.
Instead you could re-install the latest copy of AISBackup over the top of the old version. Some early versions of AISBackup were installed with 12 files designated read only, choose the button Retry to overwrite each of these.

If you install over the top of the old version of AISBackup you may manually delete the previous ‘New Folder’

Barry
dolph

Updated installation

Post by dolph »

I'm still having a problem. I moved the folders as you suggested. I then deleted the old folder. But, when I opened the program to perform a backup, the old folder was re-created and within it was a folder with the emergency backup log file.

I checked the file locatons option and made sure that the log and database folders were set to be in the new folder. However, when I opened the script for the emergency backup, the location for the log and database files were still set for the old folder. How do I change this? It seems that the file settings for all backups but the emergency backups can be set in preferences. But, not those for the emergency backups.

Thank you.
Barry
Site Admin

Moving the AISBackup database

Post by Barry »

Hi Dolph

I agree that moving the AISBackup database folder could be made easier, basically you have to move it, load each script, point to AISBackup to the correct location of the Backup Contents File (.bdb) and after doing that for each script remove the old database folder once more because it now contains an empty log file for each script.

Although this is not convenient but it works, except, that is, for Emergency System backups (ESB).

The script file must be manually edited for ESB:
  • Start Notepad and drag and drop the ESB.buz file to open it.

Make sure that word wrap is off (Edit / Word Wrap).

The last line starts with AIS4, this line also contains the location of the log and backup contents file, these must be manually edited to the new location. Take care not to alter any other data because the script may fail to load.
Here is an example where the log file and bdb file has been changed from \AISBackup to \AISBackup170. The lines are wrapped here so that they can be seen, in Notepad this data must be on one line.

Before:

Code: Select all

AIS4	G:\Backup\ESB\ESB.zip	C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database\ESB.bdb	C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database\ESB.log			H	1	2	1	0	xFhyxFx1bLeybVbNaSbNbcb9bH18cLcyxhxA1MaxgxgAbDcA	Reuse	100	0		N		0	0	0		1			1	0	0	0	0	500	51200
After:

Code: Select all

AIS4	G:\Backup\ESB\ESB.zip	C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup170\Database\ESB.bdb	C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup170\Database\ESB.log			H	1	2	1	0	xFhyxFx1bLeybVbNaSbNbcb9bH18cLcyxhxA1MaxgxgAbDcA	Reuse	100	0		N		0	0	0		1			1	0	0	0	0	500	51200
Barry
dolph

Updating my installation

Post by dolph »

Once again, worked like a charm and very easily. I particularly liked the fact that this update almost automatically transfers emergency backups to CDs.

I also augmented my Windows startup disk with your files as suggested. What I didn't understand is the step which prepares my CD to be bootable. Isn't it meant to be preparing my floppy to be bootable?

Thank you.
Barry
Site Admin

Bootable Diskette / CD

Post by Barry »

Hi Dolph

AISBackup is preparing the diskette but at the same time it creates a boot image suitable for making bootable CD’s. If the boot image exists it is automatically put on Emergency System Backup CD’s.

Barry
dolph

Boot images on CDs

Post by dolph »

I guess that means I should prepare the floppies before I prepare the CDs. Correct?

Thank you.

Your support is outstanding - as is your program. I tell my friends every chance I get. You guys should make front pages. Or are you one guy?

Regards,

'Dolph
Barry
Site Admin

Bootable CD

Post by Barry »

Hi Dolf

You need only create the diskette once, the diskette image is stored in one of the AISBackup folders.

There are girls here too :D

Barry
dolph

Girls!

Post by dolph »

There are girls here too. You are fortunate.

Good for you - they probably don't have to work half as hard to accomplish the same thing!