Backup Exclusion questions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
kingochowdah

Backup Exclusion questions

Post by kingochowdah »

I started using AISBackup when I got Win 7. But realized that I need to start using it on my other XP computer so I could restore files when I replace my laptop (no money to do so now).

On Win 7, I have 223,707 files and it backs up 194,872. It excludes 72 files and 24 folders. Looking at the file numbers, it backs up 87+% of the files.

On XP I have 109,063 files and it backs up 75,338 or 69%. It excludes 7369 files and 14 folders.

I look at the exclusions and they are very similar. Why the big difference?

Also, since it only seems to test the ZIPs when testing and not compare the files, are the computers safe to use once the testing starts?

Thanks for the help. Loving the program.
kingochowdah

Post by kingochowdah »

35 have viewed this, but now one has helped me,
Barry
Site Admin

number of files backed up

Post by Barry »

Sorry for the long wait, this is mainly owing to how to answer the question.

AISBackup excludes temporary files from known temporary file folders and the folders that Microsoft suggest to exclude. AISBackup does not count the number of temporary files excluded from the excluded folders.

If you are backing up Windows XP and Windows 7 from Windows XP sometimes and Windows 7 sometimes the number of temporary files will also change owing to the fact that AISBackup only knows about temporary files for the current running operating system. The consequence of this is that some temporary files would be unnecessarily backed up.

To get a feel for what is being excluded use the Manage Backup / Modify Files and Folders / Exclusions tab and then browse the file and folder locations (within AISBackup) to see what is excluded.

You may continue to use the PC during the backup itself, it is just that if you save a document during the backup it may not be on the actual backup - until the backup is run again.

Barry
kingochowdah

Post by kingochowdah »

Each computer is backed up separately. I have two drives. Win7 backups up to A on week 1 and B on week two. XP backs up to B on week 1 and A on week 2.

I would think that even though Win7 is newer than the XP system, it would have more temp files as that is the one I do 90% of my work on it. Before I got the Win7 system, I had an NT workhorse that did most of the work. The XP system mainly is used for email.

I have looked at the Backup exclusions and the lists are very similar (I haven't modified them either) so that is why I was so surprise that XP excludes so many more.