AISB with dual boot XP/W7

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
johngie

AISB with dual boot XP/W7

Post by johngie »

I will shortly be setting up a dual boot system (XP and W7) on a computer that's presently running XP Pro. AISB is presently running in XP.

Would it be necessary to install AISB in the W7 partition as well? Can AISB be in either partition and still back up the other?

Regards

John
Barry
Site Admin

Partitions

Post by Barry »

Each operating system should be installed in its own partition, never in a shared partition. There are too many folder differences for operating systems to co-exist in one partition.

Why don't you consider running XP in a virtual PC using something like Oracle Virtual PC? This way you can have XP running at the same time as Windows 7, and indeed use another Virtual PC to test the new Windows 8.1. (BTW: Currently (1 July 2013) there is a resolvable problem installing Windows 8.1 on an Oracle Virtual PC).

Barry
johngie

Re: Partitions

Post by johngie »

Barry wrote:Each operating system should be installed in its own partition, never in a shared partition. There are too many folder differences for operating systems to co-exist in one partition.

Barry
Thanks Barry. Just to clarify, the two OS's will be in their own separate partitions - ne'er the twain shall meet!

The XP partition will remain as is, with all its applications (including AISB).

The question I was asking was whether I need to install a second instance of AISB in the Windows 7 partition for it to be able to back up everything in the W7 partition. Hope that makes sense.
Barry
Site Admin

New partition

Post by Barry »

I would install a copy in the Windows 7 partition, same PC no new license required.

Barry