Network Connection Problem (Continued)

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
k64

Network Connection Problem (Continued)

Post by k64 »

On my home network I have a desktop PC and a NAS drive (plus printer and TV and wi-fi)

Three of my four regular backups ("Users", "C-System" and "F-Appl") write to the NAS drive (which is also mapped as drive Z:) and work perfectly as long I never power down the PC or the NAS drive.

I only power these down when going away on holiday, as I did recently. The PC was shut down too.

When the backups next run, they fail with "Cannot create files on backup destination: 87: The parameter is incorrect.... Continue?"

When I choose Yes, they run perfectly OK (or certainly appear to do so) as this job, Users, did today.

I have tried changing the backup destination - actually choosing the same destination again - but receive the same error.

To date, the only sure-fire way I have of recovering from the problem is to delete the backup jobs and set them up from scratch again.

I reported the same error on the forum on 3rd May 2012 and was advised to "Try removing the backup job from the list of backups but do not delete the actual backup: Manage Backup / Remove Backup Job From List- choose Keep to delete backup question. Then re-open the backup using Tools / Open Job From Backup Media and choose Reinstate when asked. "

I reported back in the forum that it worked for just one of the three backups. See ( http://aiscl.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... 02b99364f1 )

I've tried the same Removal and Reinstate this time, but it didn't work for any of the three jobs

Other Info:

Title: AISBackup
Program: F:\Program Files (x86)\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBACKUP.exe
Version: 3.1.0.420
Registration Number: +HTA3 EHDTL F8X3Y XDW7H 7U7W6
Database Location: C:\ProgramData\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database\
Temporary Files: C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Temp\AIS\
Overflow Files: C:\ProgramData\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\data\
Physical Memory: 4.00 GB
Available Memory: 2.46 GB
Memory Loaded: 38 %
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
Registered Company:
Registered Owner: [Keith]
Computer Name: [KEITH-PC]
Platform: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
CDDVDWriter1: D: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 NL00
CDDVDWriter2: G: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-820A 1.00
PacketWriter: Windows 7 UDF
Disc Writer Version: 2
ASPI: ASPI Set to: BinaryMagics version 1.0.0.0

The NAS is an EDIMAX NS-2502. This has the latest available firmware, 0.74c, is configured as RAID 1 and the PC has its latest driver, 0.91a.

What can I do to restart these backups?
Many regards

Keith
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Please download the latest pre-release version of AISBackup as some work has been done in the network part; however not specifically for this problem so the problem may persist.

If the problem is still there I would like you to try the following as the fault may be caused by UAC (non admin and admin mapping the same drive) here is the full article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

and here is the salient point (Registry Edit):

Start /Search type RegEdit and press [ENTER]
navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System then right click the right hand pane and choose New / DWORD (32-bit) Value

Name the entry EnableLinkedConnections
Then double click this entry and change the value from 0 to 1

Re-boot.

If this works I will build the option into the advanced settings of AISBackup as an option.

If this does not work you may remove the EnableLinkedConnections value (Right click / Delete).

If the problem still persists I will make available a version of AISBackup that displays the name of the file it is trying to create, maybe you could try the same file manually by using Notepad save as.
k64

Error persists

Post by k64 »

Hi Barry, here's what I did:

1/ Download & install AISBackup v3.2.0.426

2/ Start AISBackup. Select and run my "Users" backup: same error "...87: the parameter is incorrect..." as before. Exit

3/ Start CCleaner. Run Cleaner. Run Registry. Exit.

4/ Restart System

5/ Start CCleaner. Run Cleaner. Run Registry. Exit.

6/ Start AISBackup.
a) Select and run "Users" backup: same parameter error as before.
b) Remove “Users” from list of backups, with KEEP. Then re-open the backup using Tools / Open Job From Backup Media and choose Reinstate when asked. This got a “Could not connect or previous backup incomplete” error so...
c) I ran a Validate backup, as advised in the error window, which took a considerable time and found 6503 errors.
d) Select and run "Users" backup: same parameter error as before.
Exit

7/ Start Regedit and navigate to the specified place. The entry EnableLinkedConnections already exists and its value is 1.
Exit.

I look forward to trying the special version of AISBackup you mentioned.

Thanks
Keith
Many regards

Keith
Barry
Site Admin

Parameter 87 error

Post by Barry »

Does the NAS support FTP? This could be another backup option, i.e. backup to FTP instead of network drive. However, I would rather have a go at solving this problem first.

It seems that AISBackup is able to create files on the NAS but not the initial test file; most odd.

Do you have some shares on the NAS that require a password and some that do not require a password?

Barry
k64

Post by k64 »

I don't think anything on the NAS requires a password (except Admin, of course)
Many regards

Keith
Barry
Site Admin

Password protected NAS shares

Post by Barry »

Shares on some NAS may be protected with username and password with different access rights if required. Bear in mind that Windows can only connect with one username at a time so multiple usernames on NAS (or any network device) may be counter productive.

Have you tried re-booting since the update was installed?

Barry
k64

All OK now

Post by k64 »

Hi Barry,

Did you get my private message last night? To summarise, everything is working perfectly now. All three troublesome backups on this PC run OK and I've copied build 427 to my laptop and that's OK too.

Many thanks.

When I can, I'll check the "holiday" situation that started all this i.e. power off and on all systems and then run the backups.
Many regards

Keith
salt

Success

Post by salt »

Hi, Barry.

As you may recall, I too was having problems with NAS - but didn't do much trouble shooting as I was going to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8. Well, I did - and initially AIS Backup did not recognize the two shares on the NAS. I made the policy change in the registry to EnableLinkedConnections -- and everything appears to be running very smoothly now. Thanks! (Running Build 428 on Windows 8 Professional, 64-bit, with a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo)

Thanks so much!