Win 7 PC goes into sleep mode and DVD backup session fails

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
IanA

Win 7 PC goes into sleep mode and DVD backup session fails

Post by IanA »

I have recently 'upgraded' to Win 7 and it has caused me no end of problems. The latest problem I am trying to overcome is that it doesn't recognise disk & processor activity as being valid reasons to prevent the PC going into sleep mode.
Despite this AISBackup seems to keep the power on for disk based backups but doesn't when it relinquishes control to either of the integrated disc writers. This results in a fail if the PC goes into sleep mode whilst writing to disc that leaves the current DVD readable but cannot be used for further AISBackup sessions.

[Having got a DVD that fails I have managed to recreate it by copying the files from the DVD to a Win XP PC and then copying them to a new DVD using Nero Express (giving the DVD the same disc name). This new DVD can then replace the old one and CAN be used for further AISBackup sessions.]

I have also created an Excel workbook with some vba code I found to keep the power on whilst it’s open but I have to remember to use it each time I run an AISBackup job to disc (I looked into the possibility of using the Excel workbook as a pre-run job but the pre-run job has to finish before AISBackup session starts so cannot be used). Yesterday I forgot to use Excel to keep the power on and had to recreate the latest DVD again - v. painful and accompanied by lots of expletives.

Is there a way for AISBackup to keep the power on whilst the integrated disc writers are working? PLEASE!!!
Barry
Site Admin

Windows sleeping during backup

Post by Barry »

The next version will disable Windows sleep and hibernate during backup, copy and restore. I have already tested in backup in both UAC and administrator mode.

Perhaps I could make a copy available to you for pre-release testing.

The sleep will kick in after the backup phase completes but not necessarily when the when AISBackup has finished.

IE version 10 on Windows 7 is spell checking as I type this reply - cool.

Barry