No backup from scheduled task

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
lmeyer

No backup from scheduled task

Post by lmeyer »

Hello Barry,
I have my backup tasks scheduled in task manger. They run without problem since years.
Now when I changed the admin password, the job stopped working on one computer.

I don't find where the problem lies, and I don't find any error.
What happens is that AISbackup is running on the indicated time, but quits after a few seconds without backing up.
The same command line work from a batch file.
Furthermore, if I launch that batch file, AISbackup again does not back up.

The thing is related to the task scheduler option 'Run whether user is logged on or not'. If I choose 'Run only when user is logged on', AISbackup works.

What could be the root of the problem ?
Barry
Site Admin

Schedule Problems

Post by Barry »

This answer is based on running Windows 7:

I made a backup job and schedule using AISBackup, I entered the password and logged off. The backup ran okay.

I changed the schedule trigger (time) by working directly with Microsoft Task Scheduler and was required to re-enter the password when I clicked okay; I logged off and the task ran.

I then changed the task trigger using the old password and then changed the account password; I logged off and the task did not run.

I changed the trigger time and entered the new account password (after clicking OK); I logged off and the task ran okay.

Other option that may fix the problem.

Remove the task from the Microsoft task scheduler and set it up again using AISBackup menu option Manage Backup / Auto run this backup job (MS Task Schedule).

If the task is running under a different account e.g. you may have a local account called 'Backup' and usually logon to a domain server account; you should run AISBackup at least once manually in the local account to ensure the correct AISBackup environment is set-up.

Barry
lmeyer

Post by lmeyer »

Hello,
Unfortunately this did not help.
The task created by AISbackup is created as 'Run only when user is logged on'.
This job works as it is.
If I change it to 'Run whether user is logged or not' it does not run.

This is true only on one of my two Server 2008 R2. This is true whether I run AISbackup by the AISbackup scheduled task, a manually created scheduled task or a by a scheduled task in a .cmd batch script.
Barry
Site Admin

Which Server 2008?

Post by Barry »

Is this Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2?

When you specify the user name do you qualify it with the domain or server name? I think the username should be localservername/username and not a domain user.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Task History

Post by Barry »

Is there any message that will help in the task history?

You may have to enable 'All Task History', adjust the trigger time for now + 5 minutes, log off and logon again after 10 minutes to see what happened.

I set-up a user on Server 2008 R2 called backup that has a password that does not expire. I ran the job once under 'backup' to make sure the registry entries were set-up correctly.

Barry
nikkil

Re: No backup from scheduled task

Post by nikkil »

lmeyer wrote:Hello Barry,
I have my backup tasks scheduled in task manger. They run without problem since years.
Now when I changed the admin password, the job stopped working on one computer.

I don't find where the problem lies, and I don't find any error.
What happens is that AISbackup is running on the indicated time, but quits after a few seconds without backing up.
The same command line work from a batch file.
Furthermore, if I launch that batch file, AISbackup again does not back up.

The thing is related to the task scheduler option 'Run whether user is logged on or not'. If I choose 'Run only when user is logged on', AISbackup works.

What could be the root of the problem ?
Most probably, changing the admin password caused this. Can you try to set up task scheduler with the current admin password? That should do the trick.
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image