Can't write to RW disks anymore

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Sn0tters

Can't write to RW disks anymore

Post by Sn0tters »

Hi,

I've upgraded from ( roughly version 1.0.5? ) to 1.7, and changed my backup script to use AIS mastered CD's.

But now when I do a backup, either with pre-formatted or un-formatted disks I either get a message saying the disk is too small or AIS just can't write to the disk.

Do I have to master the disk somehow with AIS or am I missing something? ( Brain cells! )
Barry
Site Admin

CD-RW problem

Post by Barry »

Hi,

If the backup is using the integrated AISBackup CD writer a blank CD must be used. If a CD-RW is used you may erase pre-used CD's directly from the Load Media form.

If this does not work please enter CD Debug mode by pressing * 6 times, AISBackup: ******** CD Writer Debug Mode ******** will appear in the caption.

Select the script

Click Load Script

Click Run Backup

Click Start

Load the CD, if you are using a CD RW you may erase a pre-used one from the load media form. You may Erase a batch of CD’s before starting if you wish.

After loading a blank CD: Abort (prior to backup)

Menu Option View / Backup Log

Click Copy Page then paste the results into an e-mail and send to: customerservices@aiscl.co.uk

The results from a blank 650MB CD-RW should look like this:

Code: Select all

14:17:06	CDWSD	Selected: 1:1:0,O: AOPEN   CD-RW CRW4850   1.01
14:17:06	CDW	MCDB - FreeBlocksOnDisc: 335098, TotalBlocksOnDisc: 335250, UsedBlocksOnDisc: 0
14:17:06	CDW	fb: 650, tb: 650, ub: 0
14:17:06	CDW	CDFree: 654.48828125
14:17:06	CDW	Disc Type: CD-RW
14:17:06	CDW	Total Blocks: 274944
14:17:06	CDW	Used Blocks: 274944
14:17:06	CDW	Disc Status: 0
14:17:06	CDW	CDUseFreeSpace: 650
We had a problem reported by TimJon:

Posted: 13 Feb 2003 06:58 am Post subject: AISBackup won't write CD

Are you running software similar to Alcohol120?

Barry
Sn0tters

Post by Sn0tters »

I tried that quickly last night and still had no success. I will email the debug result to you today ( if I get a chance! )

I was wondering, as I am using a CD-RW does it make any difference if I choose Quick Erase or Full Erase at the load media dialogue?

The closest to Alcohol120 I would have is that I used to have CloneCD installed, but I removed it. I also have INCd, but I have killed the process to make sure it does not get in the way of AIS mastering. I also have Nero installed.
Barry
Site Admin

ASPI Layer

Post by Barry »

Hi

I forgot to mention; can you try setting:

Tools / Program Options / Checking Use AISBackup ASPI Layer

Barry
Sn0tters

Post by Sn0tters »

What does using the ASAPI layer do?
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup ASPI Layer

Post by Barry »

The ASPI layer is the interface to the low level CD Writer commands, the glue, if you like, between standard high level commands (like 'write this folder to CD') and the myriad of hardware specific commands used by the many different CD Writers. AISBackup normally works with the installed ASPI layer but occasionally does not. Often some USB connected devices are not always recognised unless the AISBackup ASPI layer is activated. This option only affects AISBackup and does not alter the behaviour of any other CD writer software you may own.

The AISBackup ASPI layer sould only be activated if AISBackup does not recognise your CD writer, or problems such as mis-reported free space are fixed.

This may not fix your problem with mis-reported free space, but then
again .....

The erase option: Normally quick will work just fine.

Barry
Sn0tters

Post by Sn0tters »

No joy so far, so I've sent you the CD debug output.

Thanks for the ASPI layer info, always nice to know!
Sn0tters

Post by Sn0tters »

Long story short for anyone who has the same problem.

First I have the latest beta load, so I'd recommend downloading the latest first, and I'm using thje built in CD writer. Secondly I created a new script based on the same script, except that it did backup files open exclusively, as this is only for FAT drives. All my drives are NTFS as I'm on XP SP1. It's doubtful that this sepcifically fixed the problem, but the new script worked.

It's also worth noting that the tempory staging area used to create the image to write the CD ( specified when you make the script ) has to have enough room to make a CD, at least 700 Mb free.