AISBackup stealing focus

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Aquarjen

AISBackup stealing focus

Post by Aquarjen »

I've scheduled AISBackup to make frequent (each 10 min) updates to another computer; like a kind of TimeMachine. Each time AISBackup apears in the system tray it steals the focus and I loose a piece of text when I was typing (which is kind of what I do all day) and I have to restore the cursor to the application and at many times also the text lost.

This is driving me nuts, Barry.

Is there a way to tell AISBackup to run in the background, not stealing the focus?

I also have another scheduled backup task running at a lower frequency (1 hour) and this one often seems to collide with the task above. Then Notepad gets started up with this message: "AISBackup cannot run interactively while an auto-run job is processing". The schedules run at diffent times but AISBackup always manages to put in enough of a delay to make this happen much more often than the set times would suggest.
Barry
Site Admin

Focus on schedules backup jobs

Post by Barry »

I ran a schedule, once per minute, on a backup job and was typing into notepad. The focus was not removed from notepad at any time the backup job was executed. I ran this test using version 3.0 build 410 of AISBackup on a Windows 7 PC; the backup destination was disk. I tried two jobs, one where a file was always updated and therefore there were always files to backup and a job where no files changed.

Please let me know which version of Widows you are using and the backup destination as this may alter the result.

Barry
Aquarjen

Post by Aquarjen »

I'm running XP Pro and the backups go to a network drive over WiFi. I use TextPad32, Excel 2007 VBA editor and Visual Studio 2008. AISBackup 400.

I'm running multiple scheduled backups and I can't seem to find a setting that does not make them collide somehow.

The last time the focus moved from TextPad to the Notepad window that AISBackup opened to warn me with "AISBackup cannot run interactively while an auto-run job is processing", and the remainder of my typing went to Notepad.

Just now I was replying to an email in OE when Notepad pulled away the focus on the next "AISBackup cannot run interactively while an auto-run job is processing" message. So the reason for this message seems to be the culprit.

This message has a blinking cursor in front of it, it definitely has the focus.

Including an 1-min test I'm running to test for this I've three backups running all day now and when two collide I get this message and loose the focus. After the problem Scheduled Tasks shows two jobs with the same Last Run Time. But I would swear that I've had this problem without the Notepad message appearing too, but did not find a way to trigger it.

Task 1 - Every hour from 8:10
Task 2 - Every 10 minutes from 8:08
Task 3 - Every minute (temporary task for testing purposes)

Somehow Task 1 and 2 can be executed at the same time?
Barry
Site Admin

Focus problem

Post by Barry »

Is it only when the notepad message is displayed that AISBackup takes the focus?

Overlapped schedules should queue and execute when the current job completes; this will be checked. Please check the schedules via MS Task scheduler to ensure they are all running the same version of AISBackup from the same folder and the same user account / password - the queuing option may be affected if they are different.

Barry
Aquarjen

Post by Aquarjen »

I'm not entirely sure it only happens when the notepad message is displayed. I would say not, as it looks like Notepase stays open when the message appears and that would leave a whole bunch of open Notepads unaccounted for.

Al schedules start the same AISBackup.exe and all run on my login.

Aquarjen
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

AISBackup only displays the message 'AISBackup cannot run interactively while an auto-run job is processing in notepad when it is called the main interface (interactively) and if the backup job does not exist when scheduled . Please check your schedules using MS Task Scheduler, here is an example from a Windows XP build:

"C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\AISBackup.exe" "PC (ANT-PC) to Network Drive|"

A zipped copy of AISBackup.exe (just AISBackup.exe) has been uploaded to; this version will display invalid job names (if any) in notepad.

http://aiscl.co.uk/test0912/AISBackup.zip

The message are:

AISBackup cannot run interactively while an auto-run job is processing

or

AISBackup cannot find the scheduled job.
The command line was:
"C:\Source\Delphi5\BACKUP\Live Backup\AISBACKUP.exe" fred

Barry
Aquarjen

Post by Aquarjen »

There do not seem to be invalid or non-existing jobs.

On several occasions I've seen an AISBackup tab appear and disappear on the taskbar while AISBackup was not activated at that time. The tab disappears quickly and the task runs on for a while in the system tray.

I've lost focus while typing in OE at one time only one scheduled job could have been executed. I've lost focus in many applications. Often (or always) the focus returns after a while but the text typed during the event is lost. Sometimes focus is not lost and no keys get missing. I've no clue what happens. I've switched off most settings in the job but that does not seem to make any difference.

There is a repeating Software branch in the registry at Defaults:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults

Aquarjen.
Barry
Site Admin

Focus on schedules backup jobs

Post by Barry »

Did you try the version of AISBackup I uploaded?

Thanks for mentioning:
There is a repeating Software branch in the registry at Defaults:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults\Software\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Defaults

A Windows 8, Windows XP Home, XP Pro, Server 2003 (several years old) has been checked and the repeated key is not there; however it is on the development PC.

Barry
nikkil

Post by nikkil »

Hi Aquarjen, any updates on this so far?
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image