Use this forum for help with AISBackup
gmandeno

"Destination Full" but plenty of space

Post by gmandeno »

Hi Barry

I have a backup job which is aborting every night with:
ERR Destination Full
ERR Free Disk Space: 508.84 MB, Uncompressed File Size: 2.45 GB
(the actual sizes in the second line vary from log to log)

The destination is a share on a NAS device. Windows Explorer reports that this share has a capacity of 3.61TB, with 576GB free.

The total used space (uncompressed) in the drive being backed up is 92 GB, and the total size of the backup destination folder (which contains many months of backup sessions) is 109GB.

It appears that AIS Backup is determining that there is much less free space on the destination than there actually is. do you know why this might be happening?

Many thanks,
Graham
Last edited by gmandeno on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Site Admin

Backup to network

Post by Barry »

When AISBackup backs to a network drive the default setting is to backup to a local drive first and then copy the backup to the network drive. This was done because it was noticed that if several PCs were backing up to a network drive at the same time there is heavy network traffic causing things to run very slowly. It was far quicker to run a file copy to the network drive after the backup (zip) files were created. Is it possible that this is causing the problem.

In this situation AISBackup uses the Tools / Program settings and Options / File Locations / Temporary Workfiles setting.

To remove the backup to local PC setting use the Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / uncheck Create backup file then copy to media.

Please let me know if this fixes the problem.

We need to change the error message in any case.

Barry
gmandeno

Post by gmandeno »

Hi Barry

Darn thing actually completed successfully last night :?

Probably this is because the free space on the NAS is now up to 636GB, which I guess was deemed "sufficient".

I don't think the problem can be with the "Temporary Workfiles" location, because this is on the C:\ drive, which has 372 GB free (only about 20% used).

I shall try creating a large temporary file on the NAS to reduce the free space again and thus reproduce the problem.

Other (possibly relevant) info:
1. The machine in question is running Windows SBS 2011.
2. Another nightly backup which is about 30% larger runs fine from a different (Windows 7) machine.
3. Both are running AISBackup 2.9.0.400

Cheers,
Graham
nikkil

Post by nikkil »

Hi gmandeno, clearly, it is reading on a different drive thus giving you this error. Any luck on this yet?
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image