Backup and Restore WinXP Registry

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Rick Breithaupt

Backup and Restore WinXP Registry

Post by Rick Breithaupt »

Hi:

I have been using the proggy for some time now and love it. However, I have never got the hang of restoring WinXP registry files (non-NTFS) short of booting to a DOS disk and manually unzipping the many zips (prior to the newer Registry Backup feature backing up into a single file -- a welcome feature, thanks!) by invoking the necessary pkunzip switches.

Can you tell me an easier way, or provide a script? Can this all be burned to a bootable CD?

Thanks.
Barry
Site Admin

Backing up the Registry

Post by Barry »

Hi Rick

From version 1.7 AISBackup can backup and restore the Registry on all Windows Systems. You still have to ‘look for’ the Registry in the list of files if that is all you want to restore. Perhaps we should allow for pre-selecting certain sets of files?

Drive C is used, please replace with the actual drive you are running from.

The System NT, 2000 & XP Registry is the folder:

C:\Windows\Systsem32\Config

or

C:\WinNT\System32\Config

Just select and restore the whole of Config.

The User Registry is a little more complicated to find:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\NTUSER.DAT

And

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

To make life a little easier we introduced the Tools / Backup Registry and Tools / Restore Registry option.

The best news is that you do not need to use a DOS diskette or dual boot system to restore the Registry any more a re-boot does the job!

Barry
Rick Breithaupt

Post by Rick Breithaupt »

Hi, Barry:

Thanks for your prompt, informative reply.

I had the occasion to visit your lovely countryside in May, 2001.

Best Regards,

Rick