What does "87: The parameter is incorrect" mean?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
k64

What does "87: The parameter is incorrect" mean?

Post by k64 »

Can anyone shead some light on the cause (and remedy) of:

Cannot create files on backup destination
87: The parameter is incorrect
Continue?

No job parameters have been changed, but the network drive (i.e. the backup destination) has been powered off and on and is still fully accessible via Windows Explorer etc.

Thanks
Keith
Many regards

Keith
nikkil

Post by nikkil »

Hi k64, looks like there was no answer here but were you able to get around this?
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image
k64

Post by k64 »

Thanks for reminding me about this, it's still failing although the All Jobs tab shows Job OK. The job (backup of C: ) runs monthly but gives me no indication that it has failed.

I've just tried to run it manually and it failed, but the Last RunStatus is now Network: Access Denied.

I have two other jobs that write to the same NAS drive as this one. One (backup of F: ) runs monthly and also fails in exactly the same manner. The other job (backup Users/Keith folder) runs daily with 100% success.

I've tried to change the faulty job as follows:
Job tab, click Backup Destination, select Change Backup Destination. In the Enter New Destination window the correct NAS drive folder is already selected so click OK and an error is displayed: The Source and Destination are the Same.
If I select Manage Backup/Modify Files and Folders List it shows the correct drive (C: ) already selected.

I seem to be able to go round and round in circles here!

Any thoughts, or do you have the same problem?
Many regards

Keith
Barry
Site Admin

Incorrect Parameter

Post by Barry »

First please let me apologise for the very long wait before this reply.

Please you try the backup job using the pre-release version on this web page:

http://aiscl.co.uk/aisbackupbeta.php

If the backup still fails does the error message now say failed?

If the backup is still failing then try re-establishing the network connection using AISBackup.

Try removing the backup job from the list of backups but do not delete the actual backup:

Manage Backup / Remove Backup Job From List- choose Keep to delete backup question.

Then re-open the backup using Tools / Open Job From Backup Media and choose Reinstate when asked.

Another thing to try is updating the Firmware on the NAS.

Barry
k64

Post by k64 »

Thanks for the advice, Barry. I'm pleased to report that all is OK now, so here's what I did FYI:

1/ Installed the pre-release version v3.1.0.416 [backup failed with "87" error].
2/ Re-established network connection [backup failed with "87" error].
3/ Removed backup job from list then reinstated itob from backup media. The job ran OK!

Did the same (3/ above) to the second failing job (there were three) and it failed with the "87" error again. This was very puzzling as all the job parameters appeared to be the same as the one that ran OK. The third job also failed after attempting fix 3/.

Two of these jobs are backups of drives C: and F: the third is a backup of Users folder (this is also backed up to an internal drive; a job that's never failed). Also remember that when I "continue" past the "87" error message the jobs run to completion.

I decided to completely delete one job (backup F: ) and recreate it. When tested it ran perfectly OK so I have now deleted and recreated all three of these problem jobs and all are working fine, run manually or by MS Task Scheduler.

Perhaps some minor error crept in when I first created these three jobs; it would have been v2.8 or earlier at the time.

Hope you had a good Christmas; may I be one of the first to wish you a Happy New Year.

Keith