Very Slow Testing

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Terrykp

Very Slow Testing

Post by Terrykp »

I have just created a new job backing up 72,603 files (approx 30 GB) to NAS over a wifi LAN. The write process was a little slower than usual, but the test process has taken 3-days so far and has only tested 13000 files.

What is the problem likely to be?
Barry
Site Admin

Network access slow

Post by Barry »

Backup to network can be slow especially when there are more than one PC backing up over a network at the same time. Several years ago a feature was added to AISBackup to create the backup files locally and then transfer them to the destination with one copy rather than maintain a 'record by record' update across a LAN; this was significantly quicker. The test phase also copies each backup file back to the PC prior to test rather than testing directly from the network drive.

This option also improved backup and restore directly to optical media such as CD, DVD and Blu-ray using a packet writing system (This type of access for CD, DVD and Blu-ray is built into Windows Vista and Windows 7 rather than having to purchase a separate packet writing system).

To set this option use the Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / select Create backup file then copy to media.

It is okay to abort the test and make this setting now; the backup can then be re-tested using the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option.

We have a rather slow 'gigabit ethernet' NAS here and upgrading the network from 100Mbit to Gigabit improved performance (but nowhere near a Gigabit).

Also check for firmware updates for your NAS; it may be a problem that has been solved by the NAS vendor.

Have you tried a similar backup to a networked PC?

Barry
Terrykp

Slow network access etc.

Post by Terrykp »

Many thanks for the advice. I have tried the 'Create backup file then copy to media' option, but it is no quicker. When I aborted and validated, everything seemed to work well until I tried to backup again. I got an error message indicating that although backup files were present, no backup had been run. It then tried to backup everything again from scratch.

The computer I am having trouble with is an IBM Thinkpad with a 1.4GHz processor and 504MB RAM, using XP Pro SP3. The other 2 machines on the network, both hard-wired, backup well. The Buffalo 2TB linkstation NAS that I am trying to use is new. Currently the Thinkpad backs up to a Seagate Freeagent 250GB external hard drive that works well.

I have now copied the backup on the Seagate to the Linkstation and opened the job from there. I have a restore option but cannot find a re-instate option.

I would like to backup to both destinations; to the Seagate when I am mobile and to both when I am back home. How can I go about this?
peter.clarkson

Post by peter.clarkson »

I have the same problem, but when I create a new job, my windows is crashing. Any help?
nikkil

Post by nikkil »

peter.clarkson wrote:I have the same problem, but when I create a new job, my windows is crashing. Any help?
Hi buddy, got any luck on this yet? Try to check event viewer for some clues.
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image